Equanimity

Francisco

I'm here, sat down in my bedroom, foots in the bed,lost sight but set in a point

-Do you still thinking about that?.

-I'll do forever.

-I know you're not right but...university still waiting your answer.

-If they really want me there, they have to be patient.

-I know, even though, I'm sure ___...wouldn't like you to be in a depression hole your entire life.

-Mom, I know you want this more than me. It's not necessary to use her to give me a lesson.

-You know I only want the best for ya.

-However, I still have some months to finish my education level.

-Of couse, and if you change your mind, know I'm here for you.

-Thanks.

I let myself fell on the bed and close my eyes a bit. I turned to the side and came across a photo of ___ and me. She looked so happy, my wishes were to go back in time or at least make sure that my suspicions were false and that really...she is dead.

I leaned on my palms and returned to the first position. I stood up, and left the room.

-Francisco? How you thought of it so quickly?-

-I didn't get up for that. I need to go out for a while.

-Bring your cell phone so you can let me know when you arrive and I'll prepare lunch.

-OK.

I put on the black jacket I had to go to school, I grabbed the keys, hiding them in one of my pockets and my backpack with some things that would be useful to me later. I left in the direction of the cemetery where she had been locked up. At the door, I bought some flowers, it would be selfish of me to visit her without something to decorate that sad and gray tombstone.

My steps were so slow that I could see the other people who were going to visit their relatives. Regardless of the day, the different tombs are so crowded by anyone. It is said that going to see the dead is considered a good deed, even if they are not your relatives, supposedly, you earn heaven in some way.

I arrived at that corner, so empty, desolate, forgotten by everyone. Her condition was deplorable, apparently the affection that her parents swore so much towards her was just a gesture of mediocrity to look good among the community. I knelt down and with a cloth from my bag, I removed the dirt from the inscription, it was visible perfectly full name, the day of your birth and the date of death. With such a hypocritical and false phrase.

"Remember you forever, your parents"

I left a photo and some tears fell. Maybe it wasn't the way I wanted but, I came for the girl I love.

- Excuse me...

I turned to face the person who was calling me and found a man with dirty and somewhat torn clothes.

-Yeah?.

-I'm sorry to interrupt you, but...my name is Luis, and I am one of the gravediggers. My bosses said you weren't allowed to visit ___ Cooper.

-And who ruled if I can do it or not?.

-The parents of the deceased.

-That's absurd, I was her friend, I have as much right as anyone to keep the bond that united us alive.

-Sorry, but you have to go. I ask you kindly so as not to involve cemetery security.

-Wait a second, did you say you were the undertaker?.

-Yes that's how it is.

-Then you could do me a small favor in exchange for me leaving.

-Y-young man...I can't...I can't give you any information or...

-Why are you nervous? Has he already done it? Have there been times before my visit?.

He sighed exhaustedly and nodded, his eyes showing guilt, the conditions could observe warranted his behavior. So this would be a piece of cake.

-Tell me what you know.

-I don't know anything. It's just what my superiors told me.

-Stop sinking further, will you? I'm not going to do him any harm, it would lose the grace of my presence to hit a chubby old man who can barely walk. Help me, or else...I will return tonight, to discover everything on my own.

-I...I wasn't the one who buried her on the day of the funeral. It was another of my colleagues, I was doing other work that had been assigned to me and I couldn't see him.

-I see, then, in exchange for how much money would you sacrifice the trust they have in you at work?.

-Look, the amount doesn't matter, I'm not going to risk...

-I'll give you $10,000, it's what I earn in one of my side jobs. Tonight, when you're on night shift, you're going to dig up the coffin and tell me what's inside. Here, this is my number.

- I accept, Sir...

-Francisco.

I walked away slowly, proud of what I had achieved.Tonight, at about 12 am, when no one knew, I would have news. And so it happened.

-Well?.

-Sir... the coffin is empty.

My face didn't seem surprised, after all, the hunch hadn't failed.

-I'm going to find you ___.