Truth

Esteban

My trips from the office used to be in the car that my dad gave me before I turned 18. But today would be the exception. I should walk back because it was under repair.

My steps were slow, focused on the sidewalks of the different streets that were behind me, as I moved forward. The briefcase in my left hand and a coffee that I had recently bought a few blocks before.

I put my lips to the glass of tergopol and took a big sip. Almost leaving it halfway, it had become an addiction as delicious almost as ___. I couldn't help but notice that a few moments ago, when I was paying for my drink, a hooded man was looking at me from under his breath.

-It stops being fun if I see your face.

I turn to see who is walking behind me pretending to be just another pedestrian on the streets of Tucumán. He takes off his hood and I can see his face more clearly that, until moments ago, was reflected in my glasses.

-Once again my path crosses yours, Esteban.

-But it is like that because you are looking for an excuse to see me again.

He approached me, walking from the left side and pulled me by my suit, pushing me into an alley.

-Why so much violence? Are you still resentful of ___'s death? Or maybe... because she never stopped loving me?.

He threw a punch at my face that I was able to stop in time with my right hand.

-You have always been a damn unhappy person.

-It seems to me that that title belongs to you, my dear acquaintance.

-Do you know her?.

I tilted my head a little looking at a photo he had taken out of his pocket.

-Of course, it's Chloe. My current girlfriend.

I looked at him seriously and instantly the noise of his laughter filled the narrow space in which we found ourselves. To the point of being so strong that the tears that flowed from his eyes perhaps showed joy or that he was witnessing a comical spectacle.

-Her name isn't Chloe, it's ___ Cooper.

My light blue orbs widened disproportionately, recoiling a little at the statement that had fallen from his lips. Now he was looking at me seriously, with an upright posture and his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

-What's happening Esteban? Why do you stay silent so suddenly?.

-Because what you say doesn't make any sense. Cooper died on the day of the finale of Total Drama Star Wars. I witnessed it with my own eyes.

-You're...playing the guilty witness. I'm not surprised...what is, is all the effort you put into ensuring that your plan had no failures.

-I have no idea what you're talking about...if you want you can confirm it with her parents...

-I have no interest in talking to them either, they have never wanted to listen to me, and even less so now that you protect them.

He started pacing in circles around me, as if he planned to corner me when I let my guard down.

-In fact, yes, your plan was so well executed, you omitted a detail... and I'm going to reveal to you what it is, because it seems that you don't feel capable of realizing it right now... it's me, your biggest problem.

I remain static in my place as I see that his circles are slow around me and he laughs with his head down. He raises his orbs for a second and fixes them on mine, that brown that I hate so much... that chocolate that Cooper likes so much and matches your irises.

-You thought that after being transferred on the day of the final, I was going to remain silent without hearing anything from you or Messrs. William and Sofía. I don't rest, perhaps I have been depressed for a while, but I've never got tired of investigating until the end, the cause of a death as fantastically organized as the one you put on stage.

-____'s body was full of bruises, I myself saw how you beat her as hard as you could, I would have defended her if my feelings were stronger. The rescue team believed it was because of the many stones and debris on the floor of the island.

-They took her to a nearby hospital, but so that everything went according to your orders, you took someone who could do the dirty work as another infiltrator among the doctors who treated her.Coincidentally...it was Ricardo. What a surprise, the same man with a profession in medicine and the one responsible for caring for everyone in the church.

-He invented a fairly strong drug that was intended to cause total memory loss in anyone. Name of the drug? Bleu Clair.

-After cautiously taking her out from the back, escaping in Ricardo's own car, you made several stops along the way to return to Argentina. I have the receipts for where you ended up.

He threw the invoices from the respective places where I was, in my face, but the very clever guy gave me duplicates of the receipts for said purchases and payment for services that I had acquired.

-I'm not stupid enough to give you the originals and have you delete all the research I carried out. You cut ___'s hair, dyed it,burned her hospital nightgown with cheap gasoline. You called a colleague of your father's who specializes in illegal civil procedures, created a new identity for her, baptizing her with the name Chloe.

-You buried an empty coffin, while her parents carried out a legal process against Chris Mclean, accusing him of the aforementioned death of their daughter, getting him imprisoned and ending the program that, for a long time, made your ex-girlfriend happy.

I felt like I was pushed against the wall again with his fingers on my neck in a vague attempt to suffocate me, the look he had, didn't express melancholy or joy at knowing that his best friend was alive and he had found her. But hatred and repudiation towards me for how damned I became.

-It would be a shame if he would kill you here. Now that I know the truth, what are you going to do?.