3

Mar POV

I felt something light on my shoulder, so I rolled over. Then it was a sudden pain in my arm.

"Mar-Mar. Wake yo ass up!" A voice grunted out.

I opened my eyes slowly, rubbing where I was hit. It was bright, my arm hurt. I swear it's too early for this shit.

"The fuck?" I mumbled, looking around the room. Not to far from the couch was this big nigga with a beard and his locs done up in a bun. "Who is you?" I scoffed, sitting up.

The person chuckled, crossing his arms over his chest. "You on't remember me? The city changed you that much, huh?"

I gave a confused look as I keep staring at em. The locs and the beard was throwing me off, but his face looked just like..

My eyes went wide as I realized.

"Now, ya dumb ass remember?" He grinned.

I rolled my eyes. It's been awhile so I'll let him have that one.

It's only been a couple years but, fuck, I ain't even recognize em. Guess I was used to the small Donnie who would cry about every little thing.

When we start getting older, I ain't really see em that much. Lo took em under his wing with all the trappin shit. So when I was tryna finish school or too involved with these girls, he was making money with Lo.

I tried not to be jealous bout none of that though. Don being closer to my own brother after Lo was the only fam I had after our grams died. Don trappin stead of doing stupid shit with me.

Eventually, I just tried to forget everything. And up to now, it worked. Everything was catching up to me though. Was we even cool no more? Could I even call him Donnie? Or was I just a regular nigga to em now?

"Yo, Mar. You good? Been calling yo name for a while now." Quan gruff voice called.

I gave a small smile, tryna be convincing. Ion know what it was, but my heart hurt being in the same room with em. "Yeah. I'm good. When I think bout it, how the hell you get in here?"

He looked down, trying to avoid my eyes. For some reason, that hurt my heart even more.

"I been watching the house since Lo been gone. Gotta make sure niggas don't take advantage, you feel me?" His voice sounded tough, but I could tell that he was getting emotional.

I got up and held my arms out. What the fuck was I doing? Was I about to hug this nigga? I mean we would do that type of shit when we was young, but I couldn't do that shit now. We too grown men, but why did I want to..

"Yo, you good?" He called out again.

My ass was just standing in front of him, prolly looking stupid as hell frozen with my arms stretched in front of me.

"Straight." I said on instinct, bringing my hands back to my sides.

It was silent for a minute. I kept thinking bout how stupid I just looked. Our first time meeting in awhile, and I'm acting like a idiot. If we was barely friends fore this, I doubt my stupid ass was making anything better.

"I'm guessing you here to see Lo. I can take you where he at. You bring yo car?" He said simply. This version of Don was most definitely more put together than me. Shit, Mar, get a grip. Stop being all awkward and shit and have a normal damn conversation.

"Yeah. I drove it down here, but I ain't gon turn down no ride though." I tried to joke, trying to get back into my carefree self.

He nodded and turned towards the front door. "You go head and get ready. Imma be in the car."

The door shut with a small click and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. The fuck is wrong with me? I've never made a fool of myself that damn bad, not even front of no girl. I don't know what it was though. Maybe, I was just nervous, but for what?

I ran my hand down my face, choosing to let it go. I grabbed my duffel from behind the couch and headed down the hall to the bathroom.

Between Lo, the drive, coming to my childhood home, and being face to face with my old best friend, I needed a shower bad.