The Fire Lily Festival: Part VIII

Roseanne drew in a deep breath, grinning wide and clutching Lalisa's hand. The bustling fairgrounds reminded her of her more pleasant memories of the circus, and she couldn't help feeling a bit nostalgic. The smell of sticky buns and fried snacks drifted by on the breeze, while music and shouts filled the air. She didn't even mind the dust that stained the bottom of her pants. Lalisa had wanted to take the palanquin, but Roseanne had won that debate by doing little more than batting her lashes.

Their pups had taken her side, almost as eager to explore the fair as she was. None of Lalisa's grousing had dampened their spirits. Minji marched in front, inspecting the snack carts with a critical eye. Behind her was Liry, ever the loyal soldier. She had forgotten her sister's betrayal and taken it upon herself to act as a sort of guard, with Master Tigermonkey dangling precariously from one clenched fist. Daehan trailed close by Lalisa, although he too was wide-eyed and keenly interested in his surroundings.

"How many people come to the festival, Father?" he asked.

"Daddy, can we get cotton candy?" Minji whined at the same time.

"Several thousand, Daehan, and no, Minji," Lalisa said. "You're going to spoil your dinner."

"How many thousand?" Daehan asked, speaking a little louder to be heard over Minji's complaining.

"But I'm hungry now!"

"Just let her have some to share," Roseanne said, giving Lalisa her sweetest look. "Cotton candy is one of the best parts of going to a fair."

Lalisa sighed, and Roseanne knew she had won. Perhaps Minji's manipulative streak didn't come entirely from her sire after all.

"Fine. Go and pick out some cotton candy—but only one to share between the three of you."

Minji forgot her regal bearing and scurried off toward the nearest snack cart, with Liry hurrying to catch up.

"She's just going to drop it," Daehan said, following at a more dignified pace.

"If she drops your share, I'll let you have one of your very own," Roseanne promised. She scooped her son into her arms, bracing him against her hip and carrying him the rest of the way.

Though Daehan was content with the treatment, Lalisa looked at her strangely. "He's getting a bit big for that, isn't he, Roseanne?"

"Not at all," Roseanne said, ignoring the fact that her son's weight was putting strain on her shoulder. Lalisa was right, but that didn't mean she was going to admit it.

Then again, they are getting older...

She caught up in time to hear Liry politely ask the man in one of the carts for, "One cotton candy, please," before Minji chimed in with, "Pink! I want a pink one."

Her mind wandered, unbidden, to her recent conversation with Lalisa in the hallway. As proud as she was of how quickly their pups were growing up, part of her did miss how sweet they'd been while they were small. At least, how sweet two out of three had been. Minji had always been something of a handful, but that didn't mean Roseanne loved her any less. Still, despite the terrible circumstances in which they had begun, they had managed to become a loving, happy, if somewhat unconventional family. Surely it would only be a good thing if that family grew larger.

Enough! Roseanne told herself firmly. That's your heat talking.

But was it really? It was true that she did feel somewhat warmer than the day suggested, and her silk top was a little itchy, but she didn't feel the all-consuming emptiness and need to be claimed that heralded the start of her cycle. She couldn't help remembering the bright spark in Lalisa's eyes when she'd spoken of having more pups, and it brought a blush to her cheeks.