A Sand Castle

Mayank was sitting inside when I got back

Mayank was sitting inside when I got back. The moment I closed the door he quickly turned on the ignition and started moving.

"What's the rush?" I asked, hurriedly buckling my belt.

No answer.

Alright, I see. But what the fuck am I supposed to feel, huh? One minute he is nice to me and next minute he is back to his arrogant self.

I did not feel like explaining him or convincing him either. I plugged in my Air pods and was long lost in my happy small world. Surprisingly, the ride went smoother than I had expected. No one spoke for the entire ride. We were now parked outside my street. I started collecting my stuff and tried to exit the car, muttering a small, inaudible thank you. But, to my surprise, the door was still locked.

I turned around to look at him and found him staring ahead. I cleared my throat to get his attention, and then he turned.

"Unlock the door." I said, gesturing towards the lock.

"No." He said, looking at me. What? Why? Were we supposed to camp? In here?

"Why?" I asked.

"We need to talk before you leave." He said.

"What now? Do you have any more rules to be added or do you have more ways of offering me money now an..."

"NO Mehek, shut up for once." He said, completely turning his posture towards me and looked around as if he was trying to find someone.

"Were you seeing someone, before our arrangement?" He asked. Each word coming out of his mouth was filled with envy. What do I answer to this? Obviously, I'm not seeing anyone.

"I don't remember our contract saying that I can't have my own life for once." I said. I swear if he is talking about Ryan this time, I will kill him. Why is he so jealous? He lost his right to question me when he left me. He can't decide when to enter or exit my life. This time, I won't let him play with my feelings again.

"So, you were seeing someone?" He suggested more like he knew the answer to it.

"You know something, that's why you've been behaving like a jerk since last hour. C'mon spill. I'm waiting." I said, taking my frustration out on him. I was tired of beating around the bush. I know we can never go back to where we were, because he will always keep bringing the same old shit as always.

Our relationship was more like a Sandcastle. It will excite you enough to build it, but it takes a lot of time to build and in the end, a wave of water can come and destroy it. You can't complain to the wave, you can't blame each other. You will just be left with loss of time, emotions, and feelings which will haunt you for life.

I was getting impatient with the way he was looking at me. I sighed and spoke this time.

"Mohit was here last week. He came here to see me after that news of...US." I spoke, he didn't say anything. Instead, he kept staring at me. His face looked like he was still trying to figure out something that was confusing him. I kept a straight face and let him assume whatever he wanted to. His gaze held me in place, and I felt like I couldn't move. Slowly, his eyes flickered from my face to my lips.