Ch. 22

Rachel is back in school, and everything seems to be same as before back here, except, maybe, Hector.

Not that they hang out together in school, or even exchange greetings everyday, Rachel thinks. However, Hector didn't take her call when she called him back the next day from Chile. She feels a little guilty for not making that call right away when she saw his missed call in her phone.

But the guilt is short lived when Rachel sees that Sabrina and her friends are still hanging out with Hector and his friends in school.

He must've been busy, Rachel thinks, like she was when she missed his call.

Nothing to feel bad about.

Besides, the end of the semester is near. The exams are near. Everyone is hectic making up for the time they'd spent not studying and missing classes.

With multiple AP classes in her time table, Rachel also has a lot of catching up to do from when she was absent because of her trip.

Seventh period is PE. When Rachel walks into the school gym, she sees their school's football coach, Mr. Jaffer, and fears Ms. Wiley is absent again and Mr. Jaffer is substituting for her. The last time this happened, Rachel was in trouble.

Rachel keeps her head down, trying to walk past the coach undetected.

But the coach sees her. "Rachel," he says.

Rachel winces and slowly walks towards him while her friends cautiously glance back at their retreating friend to know what's happening.

Coach Jaffer says, "I came to see you. Remember last time you tutored three of my players?"

Rachel nods. Although she never bothered to find out if they did well on the tests or not, Rachel doesn't think she did a bad enough job for the coach to come himself and let her know.

"I need you to do that again," Jaffer says.

Rachel nods reflexively. Then it registers what he has just told her. "Again?" She says.

"I understand you also have your exams to prepare," Jaffer says, "So I talked to your teachers. They will excuse you from some of their classes, during which you can tutor the boys. Come with me now, I'll give you the schedule."

As Jaffer starts walking, Rachel follows him. "But, coach, I—I just recently was absent from school."

"I heard about your competition win. That's great. You are very smart. No wonder the boys all got good grades after you tutored them."

Rachel wishes they hadn't. "I don't want to cut anymore classes, coach. Even if the teachers agreed, it will be easier for me if I don't miss anymore classes."

Coach stops and turns around to face Rachel. "In that case," he says, "Let's take afterschool sessions like you did before."

Rachel opens her mouth to say no but the coach says, "I'll let the boys know," and leaves before she could say anything.

Rachel wants to follow him and tell him she won't accept it.

However, she thinks about Hector. Him and his friends must've been falling back on their classes for the coach to do this again. But, if that's the case, Hector never mentioned anything about it to her. He must've not wanted her help. She however had let him help her a few too many times.

Rachel sighs. Even if she often doesn't understand Hector, she feels she owes him at least this.