Ch. 45

At the pizza place, while waiting for their order, Rachel's gaze is down on her hands. Hector's gaze is on her face, especially her lips. When she looks up, he looks away.

"I went to your place," Rachel says.

"What? When?"

"A day ago. You weren't home, and, uh... I found out about your parents."

Hector crosses his arms.

"It's not her fault," Rachel quickly says, referring to the concerned maid, "She's worried about you."

Hector avoids her eyes.

"Me too," Rachel adds, "Why didn't you tell me about the divorce?"

"I tried to," Hector says, "You weren't listening."

"Whose fault is that?" Rachel mumbles, looking down.

Hector uncrosses his arms. His face goes back to a gentle expression. "I'm sorry," Hector says, "about... the game room."

Rachel's face warms up. She wants to change the subject. "I'm sorry, too, about everything I said. Can you tell me what happened with your parents?" She looks up at Hector, square in the eyes.

He knows she won't back down now. He tells her everything.

"Why didn't you go with your dad?" Rachel asks.

"I can't leave her," he says.

"You don't trust the staff can take care of her?"

"I trust them. But I'm not going to run away from my responsibility."

Rachel doesn't reply.

After a brief moment Hector can't take it anymore. "I know you're worried about me. But I can't just abandon my mother, Rachel."

"It should've been the other way around."

"What?"

"Words like 'responsibility' and 'abandon', they are usually for the parents."

They both sit in silence for a few more minutes. Hector understands where she's coming from. But that can't change his decision.

The pizza remains untouched on the table.

"Eat," Hector says.

Rachel picks up a slice, curves it slightly, and bites off the tip. The drizzled olive oil coats her lips.

Hector's eyes divert from her face, before he picks up a slice, too.

The two finish their meal in silence. A warm and comfortable silence. Neither of them were able to convince the other they were right. But at least they are talking. Maybe it will take some time for things to go back to how they were between them. But at least they are talking.

And that's what's important.

For they both felt lonely at the prolonged absence of the other's voice. Especially, Hector, who felt like the world, or him, had gone mad. But now, with the subtle sounds of Rachel moving, eating, just sitting in front of him, and not avoiding him, is enough to ground him to some sanity.

After the meal, Hector gives Rachel a ride home in his car. The ride, too, happens in a comforting silence. Rachel has a soft smile on her face.

But as soon as her house appears out the window, Rachel remembers her failed task. Not having convinced Hector to move out. She might get another time to bring up the topic to him, since they are talking now. But she may never get the momentum of the time soon after two people reconcile after a fight. He may never again take her seriously like this.

"I know you said no," Rachel says, "But would you at least think about it? Not as your mother's son. But as yourself. What's best for you, and what your mother would've wanted for you if she's not... in pain at the moment. So that you won't resent her when the time is gone. So, would you? Think about it?"

If Rachel hadn't spoken now, Hector was going to apologize to her again and make a promise to think about what she said at the restaurant. He now smiles and nods.