Ch. 43

"I believe you remember how mistress is like from the last time you were here?" The maid says.

Rachel nods.

The woman tries to hold back her tears while saying, "It's gotten even worse since the divorce."

Surprised, Rachel repeats, "Divorce?"

"Master Hector didn't tell you?" The maid says.

Rachel feels a little pang of guilt since she and Hector are not talking. "We didn't have the chance to talk. When did this happen?"

"Two weeks ago. At first we all were relieved since there will no longer be any fights between Mistress and her husband. But after Mr. Sabith moved out, Mistress has been hurting his son even more."

Rachel remembers the bandage on Hector's forehead.

"I fear for Master's safety," the woman says before she can no longer keep composed and starts crying.

Rachel gently holds her hands.

The woman continues, "We begged for Master Hector to leave but he won't. He fears for his mother's health. I understand that. But if he continues to bear her hate like this I'm afraid something worse will happen to him. Us staff can take care of her. When the time is right we can maybe even convince her to receive medical help. Master can oversee this himself. But he shouldn't live in this house. It's not safe for him."

Another bout of crying ensues. Rachel tries to gather her thoughts. "What did his father say?"

"Mr. Sabith wanted Master to go live with him, or at least in a place of his own if that's what Master wanted. But Master wouldn't listen. He won't leave Mistress' side, even though all she had ever done is hurt her poor child. But no matter what she does, Master never leaves her side out of fear for her safety. That's how good of a person our young Master is. The only sin he had ever done is to be born into this family. For which, he's still paying."

Rachel silently hears the maid crying.

The woman says, "Please, convince Master Hector to leave this house."

Rachel removes her hands from the woman's but the woman quickly holds back Rachel's. "Master will listen to you!" The woman says, suddenly sounding full of hope, "Please change his mind, Miss. Please help him!"

Rachel pulls her hand back quickly. "I can't. We... we are not that close."

"I don't believe that. I know you are special to Master. I could tell from how he looked at you. But even if I was wrong and in spite of whatever's going on between you two, please at least try talking to him. He cared for you when be brought you here sick. Stayed by your side for hours. Don't you want to pay back his kindness? Don't you want him safe?"

"I do. B—"

"Then please talk to him. If he won't listen to you, too, then so be it. But please, just once, speak to him."

Rachel swallows while staring back at the woman's eyes that's full of fear and concern for the boy she had helped raise since he was a child.

"Okay," Rachel says, "I'll talk to Hector."