ఌ︎ 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

ᵃᶜᵗ ⁱ
ᵗʰᵉ ˡⁱᵍʰᵗⁿⁱⁿᵍ ᵗʰⁱᵉᶠ
ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ˣⁱ

ᵃᶜᵗ ⁱᵗʰᵉ ˡⁱᵍʰᵗⁿⁱⁿᵍ ᵗʰⁱᵉᶠᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ˣⁱ

   friday night, after dinner, there was a lot more excitement than usual. it was time for capture the flag.

when the plates were cleared away, the conch horn sounded and everyone stood up from their tables. campers yelled and cheered as annabeth and two of her siblings ran into the pavilion carrying a silk banner. it was about ten feet long, glistening gray, with a painting of a barn owl above an olive tree. from the opposite side of the pavilion, clarisse and her buddies ran in with another banner, of identical size, but gaudy red, painted with a bloody spear and a boar's head.

"those are the flags?" percy asked luke.

"yeah."

"ares and athena always lead the teams?"

"not always." he said. "but often."

"so, if another cabin captures one, what do you do? repaint the flag?" he asked and luke grinned.

"you'll see. first we have to get one."

"whose side are we on?"

"we've made a temporary alliance with athena. tonight, we get the flag from ares." he replied. "and you are going to help."

the teams were announced.

athena had made an alliance with apollo and hermes —the two biggest cabins— and also artemis —meaning, carolina. apparently, privileges had been traded —shower times, chore schedules, the best slots for activities— in order to win support.

ares had allied themselves with everybody else: dyonisus, demeter, aphrodite and hephaestus. percy remembered the many conversations he had with lina, her telling him about the campers of every cabin: dyonisus' kids were actually good athletes, but there were only two of them; demeter's kids had the edge with nature skills and outdoor stuff, but they weren't very agressive; aphrodite's sons and daughters mostly sat out every activity, checked their reflections in the lake, did their hair and gossiped; hephaestus' kids weren't pretty, and there were only four of them, but they were big and burly from working in the metal shop all day, they might be a problem. that, of course, left ares' cabin: a dozen of the biggest, ugliest, meanest kids on long island, or anywhere else on the planet —well, that's not what lina told him exactly, but that's how percy saw them.