ఌ︎ 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

ᵃᶜᵗ ⁱ
ᵗʰᵉ ˡⁱᵍʰᵗⁿⁱⁿᵍ ᵗʰⁱᵉᶠ
ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ˣᵛⁱ

ᵃᶜᵗ ⁱᵗʰᵉ ˡⁱᵍʰᵗⁿⁱⁿᵍ ᵗʰⁱᵉᶠᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ˣᵛⁱ

   "somewhere up ahead, this turns into a satyr path." grover said.

annabeth, lina, percy and grover walked through the woods along the new jersey riverbank, the glow of new york city making the night sky yellow behind them, and the smell of the hudson reeking in their noses. lina was too busy staring at the path to pay attention at their conversation.

"what's a satyr path?" percy asked.

"it's a road through the wilderness. satyr explorers use them. harder to track us." grover explains.

"that's great, but if we stay in the wilderness, how are we gonna find a phone?"

"what do we need a phone for?" annabeth frowned at the boy.

"so we can call camp." he says. "to get help."

"we don't need help. we're fine."

"we're fine?" percy scoffs. "we haven't even gotten to trenton, and we're wandering through a forest. i didn't even know they had forests in new jersey, but we've found one. i would say we're the opposite of fine."

"we were sent on a quest by the oracle, by the gods. what'd you think, it would be easy?" annabeth said. "it's supposed to be hard. that's why only certain people are chosen. if we call camp, we're basically saying it was a mistake to choose us."

"i'm completely comfortable with that. everyone makes mistakes." the blonde shruggs.

"it's not that easy." lina speaks for the first time in the conversation, earning percy's attention. "percy, you're the son of one of the big three, you were chosen to do this. i understand that this is not what you wanted, but we can't back down now."

"why not?" he says back, turning to face her. "it's not even been a day, and we already suck at this. we're supposed to be a team, yet i don't know anything that's going on." he tells her. "and if i'm being honest with you guys, i don't want this."

"why are you so afraid of who you are?" annabeth asks him, stepping beside lina.

"what?"

"you know, what's insteresting about this particular satyr path is it's actually the one my uncle ferdinand took when he set out on his own quest."

"what was that supposed to mean," percy frowned, ignoring grover's words "afraid of who i am? i'm not afraid."

"yes, you are." annabeth insisted. "you aren't just a kid. 'just a kid' doesn't do what you did to clarisse back at camp. 'just a kid' doesn't have hades sending top lieutenants to retrieve them."