Chapter 3 - New friends, new life

I recommend to listen to: Chopin B flat minor Op.9 no 1 (1h loop)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhfTEUxbC_I&ab_channel=MeditationStillness

------

"Thank you, Professor," Charlotte expressed gratitude while cradling a warm cup of tea.

"Let's not be overly formal. When speaking in each others' confidence, you can call me Leike. I am not, let's say.. a typical Professor," she remarked, offering a light smile to the girl and extending her hand. Her approach was to gather as much information about Ranrok as possible, she decided that friendly attire would help her with her goal.

"Friends call me Lotte," came the reply as they shook hands.

"Alright then, Lotte. How is school going? Excited for a new school year?" inquiring, Leike took a seat in front of her on a conjured beige sofa.

"Certainly, I missed friends and frankly speaking, as well classes," Lotte replied, stretching her back. "I was fortunate to be brought here; the teachers are quite competent, and I've learned a lot."

"And how do you enjoy your time with friends? Any interesting activities?"

"We've been through a lot of dangerous situations, but spending time in Hogsmead, drinking butterbeer, and flying around the area were also part of the menu."

"I see. It's a wonderful time to be a student. I remember myself in a Beauxbatons Academy of Magic; those were very joyful years of my life," Leike's mind started to find peace as she took a sip of warm tea.

"How fascinating! I've heard that numerous Dutch wizards and witches were enrolled there, yet you maintained your distinct accent."

"I stay loyal to my heritage. Beauxbatons  was a bit different than here, the rules were more.. particular. I see that there is much more freedom in Hogwarts."

"Lightly said, we students can be quite lively," Lotte remarked with a smile; after a moment of silence, her expression shifted to a more serious tone. "Excuse me, I am wondering about something."

"What is it?"

"You're well acquainted with the events that transpired at Hogwarts. I presume you're familiar with my identity and capabilities," she remarked cautiously. "Why, then, do you refrain from inquiring about any of these matters?"

Leike looked at her with a calm expression, and their eyes met.

"Because I do know how it feels when you lose someone important to you, as you lost Professor Fig. Everyone is focused on what happened and how, and no one really cares about what you are experiencing, forgetting that you are also a human with feelings," Seeing as Charlotte's gaze was getting more soft, she continued, "I am in no position to ask you such things. If you would like to share, I will be here for you to listen. I know it's hard and painful, and each day you need to put on a happy mask to survive, but the pain will pass, believe me."

The moment she finished, the situation changed completely. From being quiet and unable to say a word, single tears started to fall on Lotte's cheeks. Her hands shook as she dropped the cup on the ground.

"I... I am so sorry... I...," her voice trembled, and every word was almost unintelligible. She covered her reddened face with hands and started to cry out loud.

Looking at her, Leike felt like looking at a mirror. The words she said to her were the ones she always wanted to hear. Seeing this little girl crying made her feel a little ache in her numbed heart. Without much hesitation, she approached her and gently patted her back. The idea of asking anything about Ranrok was already gone from her head.