Chapter 13 - Under the Moonlight (vanilla 18+)

I recommend to listen to:
Hozier - like real people do
Marcin Rozynek - silacz

---- 6 years ago, middle of summer, year 1885

Walking alongside the river, the tavern known as The Sinking Bay, situated near the harbor, awaited their arrival. Even before they reached the entrance, the music resound loudly, mingling with the lively voices of customers. Leike wore her customary green corset paired with a flowing white shirt and trousers, topped off with tall boots sporting high heels. Sharp, donning a brown vest and white shirt, adopted a more casual attire than usual.

As they approached, Sharp paused, casting a discontented glance at the establishment. "Are you certain this is the place?" he questioned, eyeing the water lapping at the building's balcony. "The name certainly lives up to its reputation—it's quite literally sinking."

Leike flashed him a wide smile. "Olivia mentioned it's very gezellig (eng: enjoyable)—let's give it a chance," she urged, tugging gently at his hand to lead him forward. Resigned, Sharp relented, allowing her to guide the way.

Constructed predominantly of wood, the tavern boasted an eclectic array of sculptures from various corners of the globe. Despite offering a limited selection of spirits, the crowded establishment gave the impression of a well-stocked bar, teeming with sailors and locals. Drawing closer to Leike, Sharp navigated through the crowd, aiming for the spot where their friends were seated.

Upon reaching their table, they kept their hold on each other's hands, though Olivia's scrutinizing gaze prompted a mischievous grin from Leike.

"What took you two so long? I was nearly bored to death by Gale's dry wit," Olivia remarked, swirling the last drops of her whisky in her glass. Known for her strong personality, the amber liquid suited her well.

"You just don't appreciate the finer nuances of my humor." Gale retored

"Fine nuances? They're about as subtle as your receding hairline," Olivia laughed, her jest eliciting laughter from Sharp.

A barman clad in brown attire and a pirate hat approached, a toothpick clamped between his teeth, his cheeks tinged red from sun exposure and fatigue.

"What'll it be, mates?"

"I'll have a fine brandy, and a red semi-sweet wine for the lady," Sharp ordered, well-acquainted with Leike's preferences.

The barman's response was less than promising. "Wine? We're fresh out."

Leike cast a curious glance toward the group of sailors conversing in Dutch. "What are they drinking?" she inquired, attempting to discern their beverage of choice.

"Some Dutch gin, gine, jene..."

"Jenever! One glass for me please" Leike's eyes lit up with excitement. It had been some time since she had tasted something reminiscent of her homeland.

"Make it two," Sharp added with a smile. During their time together, he had eagerly absorbed knowledge about her culture, even picking up a bit of Dutch.

The barman nodded and departed, leaving Leike gazing eagerly at the nearby game. Sharp couldn't help but notice her enthusiasm, which made his heart flutter each time smile showed up on her face.

"Are they Dutch?" Olivia inquired.

"Jaa, (eng: yes)" Leike confirmed, "this is a popular game in the Netherlands. My uncle used to take me to the taverns."

"So you've played this... sport?" Gale asked, clearly taken aback.

"I have indeed, and quite well, if I do say so myself," Leike replied, a hint of pride evident in her voice. Gale exchanged a knowing smile with Olivia.