Chapter 11 - Crucial findings

Song to listen to while reading: Hozier - Like Real People do (on repeat)

--------

In the next days, Sharp dedicated himself finding the cure. The realization that he refused to let his disability triumph spurred him on, leading him to scour Hogwarts' library extensively. Motivated by glimpses of hope, inspired by Leike, he sought to rebuild the happiness he felt he had messed up.

One evening, he ventured into the restricted section and noticed an open book on curses. The glimps of a light passing between the shelves could indicate that someone under a disillusionment spell was on their own journey, but distracted with the new finding, he decided not to check. Delving into the books, he discovered how curses affected the body and the spells responsible for various damages.

"I've been looking at it the wrong way," he thought, realizing his leg might not be simply injured but cursed, explaining the lack of success in medical treatments. Trying to recall spells and curses related to his leg, he couldn't pinpoint anything specific.

"The only thing that touched my leg was the wood. Was it cursed? But with what?" he wondered, eventually turning to the section on dark magic objects. The revelation struck him as he read about objects cursed with a malice spell.

Sitting there, shocked, he whispered to himself, "How on earth am I going to reverse death"

------

In the afternoon after her classes, Leike had to pay a visit to the Beasts teacher Professor Howin to pick up some food for her cat. As she approached the hut, the Professor greeted her with a warm smile, noticing her tending to an injured toad on the table, beside which lay several silver chains.

"Hello, Professor. I hope I'm not interrupting," Leike said, glancing at the injured creature.

"Ah, Leike, welcome. How can I assist you today?" Howin cleaned her hands by brushing them on the material of her garment, smiling nervously.

"There is one cat that frequents my chamber, and I was hoping to ask for some food for her."

"Ah, the blue one. How is she doing?"

"Quite well, thank you. She seems to enjoy my company," Leike replied with a smile. "She reminds me of a similar cat I had back in London."

"Is that so?" the Professor mused, lost in thought. "Perhaps that's why Professor Sharp requested that specific color."

Leike's surprise was evident. Suddenly, everything began to make sense. His inquiries about her sleep and his well wishes for a better night coincided with the appearance of the cat.

"So, it was Sharp's idea?" she asked, her eyes widening.

"To be honest, it was a surprise to me as well. He's never shown much interest in animals before."

Leike felt a warm sensation spread through her cheeks, but she quickly composed herself upon noticing Howin's curious expression. Redirecting her attention to the chains, she grew suspicious.

"May I ask what these are for?"

"I'm not entirely sure myself. They look like chains, but they were used in a malicious manner on this toad. It was behaving aggressively, which is quite unusual," the Professor explained.

Examining them closely, Leike noticed some inscriptions on the metal.

"It seems to be made of a special material. I'd like to investigate further. May I take one?"

"Of course, if it helps identify them and saves innocent creatures," Howin replied.

"Thank you," Leike said, taking one of the chains. As she examined it, her mind raced with possibilities.