Chapter 8 - Sharp's Apprentice

I recommend to listen to while reading: Chopin/Paul de Senneville Spring Waltz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1XUV6QclU&ab_channel=IntermezzoClassics

----

After the situation in the hospital, Sharp sat in silence in his room to gather his thoughts. On the one hand, he felt a sense of contentment he hadn't experienced in a long time. On the other hand, his feelings towards Leike that he tried to bury so much were coming off the surface again, clouding his initial approach.

The moment he collided with her in the Weasley's office left him in a state of confusion with pinch of anxiety. The prospect of working together again thrilled him, but it also resurrected hopes from years past. He vividly recalled the beginning of their cooperation, and with a nostalgic smile, he reminisced about those days.

---- Seven years ago, Spring year 1884

Seven years prior, as he garnered increasing recognition and was hailed as the most successful auror of that time, the Minister of Defence decided that he has to take an apprentice to pass on his knowledge to future generations. Despite his initial reluctance, he browsed a list of potential candidates, quickly selecting four individuals based on their achievements whom he wanted to check If they would be a good fit.

In the common room, speculation about Sharp's situation dominated conversations, and everyone awaited to learn who would have the honour of being his apprentice. Especially women hoped for the chance to make an impression. Finally, a recruiter entered the room.

"As I read out the potential candidates for Aesop Sharp's apprentice, they are to stand next to me," declared a man with a long spiky hat. A hush fell over the room. "Irene Westhold, Paul Longman, Garreth Wilkinson, and Leike van der Weld."

The room erupted into gossip and questions. "Van der Weld? Why would he choose a foreigner and not one of us?" murmured a few individuals.

"Leike, can you believe this?" Olivia nudged her with her elbow. Leike was too astonished to fully grasp the situation. Secretly, she wished for this outcome since they met for the first time.

The selected candidates followed the recruiter, leading them to a spacious room where Sharp awaited. Upon seeing Leike, he greeted her with a faint smile, remembering that girl who few years before stained his jacket, and stayed in his memory.

"The competition is simple: the winner of the duel prevails. The first pair will be Garreth and Paul. Prepare your wands."

Two participants stood in front of each other, and after a few minutes, Garreth was on the ground, hit by confringo. The next duel was between Leike and Irene. Sharp observed closely how she moved.

She stood with her back straight, balanced, with her left hand behind her back when she used her wand with her right one. Her moves had so much grace that she looked as if she was fencing. The gestures and concentration with each spell she cast almost bewitched him.

Taking a closer look, he noticed that her spells had a slightly different color than regular ones—shining more in blue, and their power was stronger.

The duel ended, and the last one was between Leike and Paul. Her manner of countering attacks in this fight was coming close to perfection. The moment he started to cast Confringo, her Glacius froze his wand. She gave him a few fast attacks, and the third one was powerful enough to break his Protego.

With almost mechanical precision, she avoided his lame attempts to hit her with any spell until she did a heavier breath out of boredom. Sharp, seeing this, laughed lightly. Leike had enough, and with three fast spells and Depulso, she defeated her opponent, accidentally breaking his finger when he bumped on the ground.