Chapter 4 - Change and agony

I recommend to listen while reading: What it feels to be a memory (playlist)
https://youtu.be/MVeeRCRw5kM?si=2ugAApDmVV74iPog

---------
Despite being terribly exhausted, Leike woke up early, contemplating various approaches to deal with Sharp. None seemed satisfactory. Resentment lingered for his past actions, yet she had no intention of confrontation about that topic; suspecting he cared little.

The past, she believed, should remain there as she focused herself on her future. Despite their tumultuous history, they were both teachers now, and after all, they had to work ftogether for the greater good.

Her clothing remained packed, so she chose an outfit that demanded little ironing, though she wouldn't handle it herself. A simple beige dress adorned with white ornaments accompanied by long earrings was her choice. Her raven-black hair, usually restrained, cascaded loosely, secured with hairpins showcasing her alabaster skin.

A touch of red balm enhanced her lips and cheeks, presenting a simple yet flawless appearance, all of this pampering was a remaining routine that she learned in Beauxbaton. After a few deep breaths, she went down the stairs to Sharp's classroom.

"Come in," he said upon hearing her knock. His writing started to be more crooked, seeing her from the distance. Trembling hand got sweaty, unable to continue filling the notes.

Entering the room, the scent of his cologne irritated her nostrils, setting her veins on edge. The room, dimly lit with scarce sunlight and numerous candles, held an organized array of ingredients on shelves, a testament to Sharp's meticulous nature.

Maintaining a forced composure, she approached him. Despite her control, each step gradually increased stress.

"Miss van der Weld, glad to see you again," he greeted, lifting his head from the papers.

"Hello, Aesop," trying to keep emotionless demeanor, she took a deeper breath.

Brows of Sharp got frowned. He knew that his attitude cannot be too friendly, as his objective was to not speak about the past and further, to not get attached once again.

"Our roles have shifted, just us our professional environment. It would be more appropriate for us to address each other in the manner customary among other professors"

Without much thinking about it, Leike nodded in acceptance. Taking a chair in front of him, a small pile of documents, maps, and letters from the Ministry landed on the desk. As he perused the papers, she observed his face, noticing signs of aging beyond his years.

The age gap between them was approximately 10 years. Despite of his age of 41, deep wrinkles and scars suggested a harsh past. His pose, once lively and attention-grabbing, had shifted to the opposite. Hair was longer than before, deep brown as the colour of his narrow eyes. Long scar on his face was a reminiscence of the tragic mission when he almost lost his life.

she thought "He changed a lot, but so did I, as well because of him." Nevertheless, surveying his deteriorating physical condition, she reconsidered her approach that was almost hateful towards him. After all, she owed him much.

"Is there something on my face that disturbs you, Miss van der Weld?" he asked without lifting his head. Leike found herself caught.

"No, sir. I just thought that you've changed. Haven't seen you in years." All those years that she tried to forget about him; her skin showed slight goosebumps.

"Years, you say. It seems I've become deeply rooted in this place," resentment in his voice stated that he was not content with his current life.

Leike struggled to respond. This was not the Sharp she used to know. Their last encounter had been intense, but this coldness was unexpected. "Good, at least now I know resisting him won't be so difficult. This isn't the Sharp I fell for," she mused.