18. THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

-'CHAPTER 18'-
THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

It had been five days since Talia had been rescued from the dread doctors. She had gone to school after and pretended everything was okay when she knew it wasn't. It seemed everyone was pretending, Malia's head went down when she walked the halls, and Stiles' mind always seemed somewhere else. Scott walked the halls sad and washed with anxiety. Hayden looked nervous, and Liam seemed like a lingering sadness was following him.

Talia didn't know what exactly happened while she was gone, but it seemed like the pack was separating. It seemed the entire school was washed in a bubble of sorrows. Everything felt on the verge of tipping as nothing was happening. No more chimeras or attacks. They hadn't seemed to see the dread-doctors in a while. It made everyone constantly on edge. As if they were waiting for something to go wrong.

"You alright," Talia asked Liam gently.

He seemed to jolt out of whatever thought he was having "I'm fine".

"You sure" she asked again, knowing the boy wasn't being truthful.

He finally meets her eyes "I guess" he mutters. His words came out hesitant, almost as if he were trying to convince himself.

"You guess" she raises a brow, speaking in a teasing tone. "You know you can't lie to me Dunbar".

A small smile pries his lips. She was entirely right. Out of all the people in his life, Talia Argent was the one who knew him best. The only one he couldn't lie to.

"I'm just a little weird about the supermoon and all" he mutters, fiddling with his fingers. His cheeks tinted a small rosey red as he averted his eyes from her.

"It will be okay, Scott can help you, and I'll be there. We'll get through it like we always do" Her words were spoken in a casual yet gentle tone. He always did figure things out with Talia by his side.

He smiles softly, nodding. The blonde moves forward, grabbing a hold of his hand. His heart thundered in his chest in a familiar way that he only ever felt when with Talia. He adored it with every feeling in his body as warmth flooded his stomach.

"Don't you have English?" she questioned, pulling him up from his seat.

"Mhm" he mutters the loopy smile on his face, never leaving. She was just so beautiful it was hard not to admire her. Especially when she was looking at him with those beautiful blue eyes that reminded him so much of everything he adored in life. He decided then and there that was his favorite color, the exact tint of her eyes, including the small sea green specks that tattered her iris.

"What are you all smiling about?" she inquired. Teasing. God he loved when she teased him.

"Can't I just be happy?" He questioned as she led him through the halls, never letting go of his hand. It was warm against his, and it felt as if she was warming his entire soul.

"You were moping two minutes ago," she points out. Two minutes ago, you weren't holding my hand, he wanted to say, but kept his thoughts to himself.

"I was not moping, I was preparing my mind" he mutters.

She gives a soft laugh at that. "Alright well don't prepare your mind too hard in class. Don't wolf out either" she scolds.

He simply nodded as the two parted ways Talia headed to her class while Liam went to his. Her feet patterned in soft thud, and she counted her steps in boredom as she walked to her history class.

She took a seat right next to Hayden
as the teacher began speaking. She glanced toward the girl only to see her brows furrowed, and a gleaming look of worry painted her eyes.