Chapter 10

The eunuch laughed lightly. "Do I...?"

  Yu Yushi looked at the eunuch warily, and a chill ran down his spine. He had to be the empress, and it was compulsory.

  He turned to leave, and was about to go down the stairs when he heard the empress dowager.

"Oh it's Yu Yushi," she said, and smiled.

She had wrinkles over her face, and a sharp gaze. It was obvious she tinted her hair, cuz it was way too black for an old lady.

  Yu Yushi smiled back, and bowed. "It's the empress dowager. Long time no see."

"Well.... Come on in," she said with a vibrant smile.

"Tang Yun, get some tea for royal concubine Yu Yushi," she said to the eunuch, and he bowed before leaving.

Hearing the empress dowager calling him royal concubine made his blood boil.

  He entered the chamber, and sat opposite the empress dowager.

"So, my boy," she began. "What brings you to this part of the palace?"

"I seek for knowledge, Your Grace," he answered with a smile.

  "And what knowledge might you think I can bestow onto you, my boy?"

"We compete for the emperor's love, Your Grace, as well as the empress's position."

"Yes. And, how do you think I can help?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

  Yu Yushi gulped.
I know that look.
He put on his smile again, and said without much thought.

"The empress dowager already knows what it is I wish to have, and I hope the empress dowager can help me."

"That's right. And, it's the right amount of truth, because you've decided to come to me. Very wise my boy. Very wise," she said as she stroked her chin.

  "Perhaps, I can find a way to repay Your Grace after this?"

"No. I don't think you have to go through the trouble, boy."

Yu Yushi nodded, and waited for the empress dowager to tell him how to become the empress, but she just stared at him like a piece of cake.

  "Empress dowager?" He called softly, and she looked him deep in the eye.

"I was also a royal concubine. At that time, Han Jun wasn't born yet. To tell the truth, my boy, I was desperate for the position of empress."

She leaned forward, and took a sip of the tea the eunuch had just brought.

"I used devious means, my boy, and it has to stay within us. Are you ready, boy?" She asked with a little sarcasm.

"Yes," he answered firmly.

"Here goes my question, my boy. Are you....?"

Thanks for reading.....!!!