Chapter 1

Waking slowly to a strange noise, (Y/n)'s head felt hazy.

"Is it morning already?" (Y/n) mumbled sleepily. 'Where's Belphie?'

"I better hurry up and find that uniform before someone spots me... Urgggh... This lid weighs a ton!" (Y/n) guessed the strange new voice was the one who caused noises.

"Try this on for size! Mya-ha!" With little time to react, (Y/n) was almost blinded by blue fire.

"F-fire!?" After the fire dissipated (Y/n) could finally take in their surroundings. They were inside a small coffin which explained why they were hunched over even though their head was pressed against the top.

"Now to grab the goods... What?! You ain't supposed to be awake!" (Y/n)'s attention was turned towards the small creature in front of them.

"A talking...weasel?" Saying this seemed to insult the small creature.

"How... How DARE YOU! I am no WEASEL! I'm Grim, sorcerer extraordinaire!" The way it was saying how great it was, reminded (Y/n) of their brother, Mammon. "Tch. Whatever. You...human! Just gimme your uniform, and be quick about it!"

"Human...? But I'm not-" (Y/n) was cut off before they could finish.

"'Cause if you don't...you're gonna regret it!" The little weasel, Grim, caused another burst of blue flames before he rushed towards (Y/n). Without thinking they slapped him way like someone trying to get rid of a fly. They must have hit him a little too hard as Grim slammed into a wall, knocked out cold.

Feeling a bit guilty and wanting to know where they were (Y/n) left the room quickly.

~

(Y/n) Found themself rushing through dim hallways and dark classrooms, though an open courtyard and finally arriving at a dimly lit library. (Y/n) counted themself lucky they didn't need to struggle to see in the darkness, being a demon has its perks.

"Where... am I?" (Y/n) pondered quietly. Their thoughts were cut off by a familiar voice and burst of flames.

"Foolish human! Did you really think you could slip away from ME?" Grim had found (Y/n) again, did he really think they were human? (Y/n) felt less guilty for hitting him because of how persistent Grim was.

"Now, unless you wanna get burned to a crisp, take off that-" Grim was abruptly cut off when a whip wrapped around him.
"Me-YEOW! That hurt! What gives?"

A voice from behind them startled (Y/n). Turning around there was a man with a bird mask, slightly shorter than themself, holding onto the whip.

"Consider it tough love." He stated, focusing his attention on (Y/n), this man seemed mildly unnerved by their height. "Ahem, I've found you at last. Splendid. I trust you're one of this year's new students"

'Students?' (Y/n) was confused and just wanted to find their brothers.

"My, were you ever eager to make your debut. And bringing a poorly trained familiar with you?" Their confusion worsened, (Y/n) didn't have a familiar. "That is a clear violation of the school rules."

Before (Y/n) could protest Grim began struggling against his binds while complaining.

"As if I'd serve some lowly human! Now lemme go!"

"Again, I'm not-" Being rudely cut off, (Y/n) began to feel frustrated.

"Yes, yes. Rebellious familiars always say that. Do be quiet for a bit, won't you?"

"Mmmrph!" Grim continued to protest even as his mouth was covered.

"Dear me. Of all the students I've dealt with, you're the first with temerity enough to open their own gate and step out of it." (Y/n) began to zone out as the man talked. "Does the very notion of patience elude you? No matter. Your orientation has already begun. Let's return to the Mirror Chamber."

It was only then that something clicked in their head.

"Student...?" They mumbled to themself. (Y/n) was already a student at R. A. D., 'Did Lord Diavolo volunteer me as an exchange student without telling me?'

The bird man cut off (Y/n)'s thoughts as he began to speak again.

"You awakened in a room full of gates, did you not? All of the students here at the campus arrived by passing through such gates. Although typically the students have restraint enough to wait until I open them before waking up."

"So those coffins are like... gateways?" (Y/n) guessed. 'Like a portal?'

"The design is intended to symbolise a parting with your former world, and a rebirth into a new one." The bird man ranted on. "But now is not the time for such prattle. You've a student orientation to attend! Go on, now. Make haste." The masked man gently pushed (Y/n) forward to the library entrance, swiftly walking off with Grim still struggling while being dragged behind. (Y/n) began to slowly follow the two a few paces behind.

"First, just tell me one thing: Where am I?" Their voice, unintentionally, came out in a low demanding tone. Both, the flaming weasel and masked bird man, flinched and turned to face (Y/n). Unbeknownst to (Y/n), their eyes were practically glowing which gave their hooded face an ominous look. Their gaze made the masked man and Grim shudder as if an icy breeze brushed past them. The bird man barely managed to compose himself before replying to the question asked.

"A-ah.. Hmm.. Have y-you not fully regained consciousness? T-the timespace teleportation must have addled your memories..." He trailed off before straightening up and continuing on. "Well, these things happen, I suppose. I shall explain it to you while we walk. Truly, my magnanimity is boundless."

Exiting the library and entering the courtyard, the masked man faced (Y/n) while adjusting his grip on Grim.

"Ahem. This is Night Raven College. It is an institution for students the world over who demonstrate a rare aptitude for magic. It is the most prestigious academy of its sorts in all of Twisted Wonderland. And I am Dire Crowley. Having been entrusted with its care by the chairman, I serve as headmage."

'Twisted Wonderland? ...I'm not in the devildom?' Taking a moment to arrange their thoughts, (Y/n) focused of a key piece of information. "Academy?" 'Like R. A. D.?'

The masked bird man, Crowley, continued talking. "Only those who the Dark Mirror perceive as having a talent for magic are admitted to the college. Those who are selected are summoned to the campus through those "gates," which can appear anywhere." He paused. "A black carriage bearing one such should have come to meet you."

Remembering a vague dream of a glass carriage with a coffin, or gate as Crowley says, being pulled by a pair of strange horses.

"I do kinda remember a horse with a scary face..." (Y/n) scratched the back of their neck and averting their gaze, feeling sheepish. Because they weren't looking forward, they didn't see the odd look on Crowleys face. After quickly clearing his throat Crowley continued on.

"That black carriage serves to receive a student chosen by the Dark Mirror. It too bears a gate that connects to this campus. And as you know, sending a carriage to meet someone on a special day is a time-honored tradition."

Unable to hold their tongue, (Y/n) let slip a snarky comment that would make Satan and Belphie proud.

"So this carriage dragged me here against my will?"

That same cold tone returned making their current company flinch. Almost as to remind them of his presence, Grim began to struggle once more.

"Mmfff! Mmmmmmfff!"

"Now, let us attend your orientation." With that said, Crowley began to walk ahead leading the demon away. Finally allowed peace to think, (Y/n) was able to focus on the nagging feeling they had been ignoring.

'...I'm hungry..' They placed a hand on their quietly grumbling stomach. '..I wonder what those crows in the garden taste like?'