Chapter 12

"Yeah right, like I'm gonna wash a hundred windows. I'm just gonna go back and—"

"AHA! GOTCHA, PUNK!" Ace turned to see Grim leaping off (Y/n)'s shoulder to catch up to him.

"Oh no! They saw me!" Ace made a break for it, running down the corridor.

"Stop right there, pal! No fair gettin' a head start! Wait!"

"Who in their right mind would ever wait?! Seeya!"

"No way are you gettin' out of this! You think I WANNA wash windows?"

"...Hm?" Up ahead was a blue haired boy, he turned around due to the commotion and (Y/n) was able to see the black spade on his right eye.

"Outta my way!" Ace shoved the boy aside, making a beeline for one of the mirrors at the end of the hall.

"Hey! What gives?!"

"He's shirking his cleaning responsibilities..!" (Y/n) called to the blue haired boy as they ran to catch up with Grim.

"What? That's not right! But how do I stop him?" He pulled a pen, identical to the one Ace used that morning, from his jacket. "Like, freeze his legs? Or bind them with a rope? Or maybe I could... Hmm... No..."

"... You're thinking too much," (Y/n) mumbled under their breath.

"I don't care how! Just do something! Anything!" Grim shouted at him.

"Anything?! Anything, huh... All right! Here goes anything!" The blue haired boy held his pen towards Ace. "I summon thee... something heavy!"

A bright light of magic burst from the end of his pen. It collected above Ace's head before it materialized into a large, black, metal cauldron.

The cauldron landed on top of Ace, crushing him, and making a loud 'bang' echo through the room.

"Bwaaah?! Wha?! A pot?" Ace cried in pain from the weight of the pot.

"Ah ha ha ha ha! Look, (Y/n), look! That Ace guy got crushed beneath a giant cauldron! It squashed him flat! Aha ha ha!" Grim was rolling on the floor with laughter. "That's what you get!"

(Y/n) jogged over to the squashed boy and gently lifted the pot from him. They absently listened to the voice behind them.

"A cauldron?! I wasn't expecting that. I may have overdone it this time..."

"Owwww!" Ace winced as (Y/n) lightly proded at his bruised back. The demon subtly cast a wordless healing spell, absorbing the worst of the injury as they held the boy still.

"What are you bothering me for? You guys coulda just banged out the work yourself!" That comment earned Ace an annoyed glare from the demon.

"There is no 'banging out' a hundred windows! You're starting to cause trouble just like my big brother..." Ace gave (Y/n) an odd look, almost like he understood the feeling.

"You have to wash a hundred windows as punishment? What the heck did you do?!" The spade painted boy asked.

I was just screwing with that furball a little." There was an awkward pause. "...Okay, and we may have gotten into a scuffle and accidentally caused that. Sue me."

Ace pointed to the bandages covering (Y/n)'s arms. The blue haired boy's gaze followed where Ace was pointing and his eyes widened.

"You fought and badly injured someone?! No wonder he flew off the handle at you!" The boy said. "After you managed to get into THIS school, how could you get in trouble on the very first day?!"

"Oh, shut up. Who are you, anyway?"

"My name is Deuce. Deuce Spade. Don't you remember your own classmate? Uh..." The boy, Deuce, trailed off.

"You don't remember my name either, do you?"

"That's not the point!" It was then, that (Y/n) stopped listening.

'Those two's relationship is gonna be a lot like Levi and Mammon, isn't it..?'

"–bang out the windows already. Huh...?" Ace looked around.

"What...?" (Y/n) hesitantly asked.

"The furball! He's gone!" Ace exclaimed.

~

"Ah ha ha ha! I'll let you two handle the rest! See ya suckers!" Grim laughed.

~

"You caught me so YOU could run away yourself?! Hey! You there! Uh... Juice?"

"My name isn't 'Juice'. It's Deuce! With a D!"

"This is partially your responsibility, you know! So help me catch that little furball!"

"How is this my responsibility?!"

"Grim's useless janitor friend is hurt. That means this is up to you and me!"

The two boys ran in the direction of the flaming monster. (Y/n) stayed back and focused on healing themself. The magic they used was a transfer spell, it was used to take the pain from Ace and give it to (Y/n).

(Y/n) was only a bit glad that humans were fragile because an immense pain to them was comparable to a simple sprain to a demon. So it didn't take long for the pain to subside, when it did (Y/n) walked after the others, the Avatar of Gluttony was too annoyed to chase them.

~

When (Y/n) finally caught up to the others, they quietly watched as the boys chased Grim up and down the Main Street, trying to use their magic to stop him while still arguing with each other.

When it seemed like Ace and Deuce had Grim cornered, he took the opportunity to escape when the two were arguing again. Seeing this, (Y/n) began to run after the kit with Ace and Deuce not far behind.