Chapter 8

Sunlight was peering through the wooden boards on the window, shining on the two splayed out asleep on the bed.

"Hee hee hee... Aren't you two supposed to be off cleaning the school today?" The familiar voice of one of their ghostly friends. Alban blew on one of Grim's ears to get a reaction.

"Mmmmm... Nngh... Five more minutes, Ma..." Grim grumbled as he rolled over.

"Go ahead, sleep the day away," Tav teased. "And you might not eeever hafta wake up again."

"Just like us! Ah ha ha ha ha ha!" Pilo laughed heartily. This startled Grim awake.

"Myah?! The ghosts are back! Hey, (Y/n), up and at 'em!" Still half asleep and acting on instinct Grim blasted the ghosts with fire.

~

"Yee hee hee hee!"

"I'll show you what I can really do!"

For several minutes Grim battled the ghosts with fire as they retaliated with magic. They went back and forth. With Grim blowing fire and the ghost shooting back with water and wind. They kept going until Grim got all three of them with a particularly good blast.

"Myahaaa! How does it feel to lose?!"

~

"Ease up, little kitty! We were just pranking ya," Alban teased. "Since you're gonna be living here from now on, you'll be expecting a lot more. Hya ha ha!"

"We gotta get rid of those things for good!" Grim said as he turned to (Y/n), only to find them dead asleep half fallen off the bed.

"Mya-what?! How are ya still asleep?!" Upon seeing the position (Y/n) was in, the ghost trio began cackling with hysterics.

(Y/n)'s legs were still somehow on the bed while their chest and face were squished against the floor. They were holding their pillow to their chest as they chewed on the end of it.

"Good morning, (Y/n). Did you sleep well?" Crowley asked as he barged into the room.

Taking the situation before him in, he was completely baffled. The awkward sleeping position of the person in front of him. The ghosts, who looked about ready to die a second time from laughing too hard. And finally, Grim, who was currently trying anything to wake (Y/n).

"How?"

Together, they spent the next five minutes trying to wake the sleeping demon. Eventually Crowley had an idea.

Quickly summoning an apple, Crowley held it near (Y/n)'s head and cut it in half. Their nose twitched before their body turned to the apple's direction. Their mouth opened to bite the apple and almost took Crowley's hand with it.

"Mmm.. goosh morshing..." Their words were muffled by the apple half they were munching on.

"Haa.. It seems waking you required a great deal of effort. Now take these clothes I was gracious enough to bring and get changed," Crowley's voice held a hint of irritation. "When you're done you can have breakfast while I tell you about today's duties."

Without a second more Crowley turned on his heel and left the room.

~

Walking into the kitchen just in time to see Crowley place down two plates of waffles topped with berries. Taking a seat across from the bird man at the counter, (Y/n) stared at the plate intensely. Crowley handed them cutlery and pushed the plates towards (Y/n) and Grim.

"Eat your breakfast and I'll explain," Crowley had barely finished speaking before (Y/n) was stuffing their cheeks.

"Your job today is to clean the campus. That said, the campus is vast, and without magic, it'd be quite a Herculean task to clean it all," explained Crowley. "Therefore, today I'll have you focus on the area spanning from the front gates to the library."

(Y/n) finished their plate off quickly, leaving no crumbs behind. Grim tapped their arm and pushed his mostly finished plate to them. (Y/n) grinned at the kit before eating his leftovers.

"Now, (Y/n)..." The demon looked up from their plate. "I do expect that you'll keep a close eye on Grim, lest he cause another incident like yesterday."

"Mhm, understood."

"Do not fail me. You may take your lunch in the cafeteria. I eagerly await the fruits of labour."

With all said and done, Crowley left. Taking the empty plates, (Y/n) began to wash up.

"Hrmph. I ain't cleanin' nothin'!" Grim protested. "I'm here to study magic so I can be blastin' off spells left and right. Like BAM! POW! FWOOM!"

"Let's just head to the front gate for now," (Y/n) said as they dried their hands.

"Hrmph."

As the two headed for the door (Y/n) called into the dorm.

"We'll see you guys later! We might be back late!"