Chapter 14

A small, dilapidated, cottage came into view. It was surrounded by eerily quiet woods, the only sounds were the howling winds and rustling leaves. Across the rickety old foot bridge was the path to the mine's entrance.

"So this is the Dwarfs' Mine... Long ago, this mine was flush with magestones," explained Deuce.

"Urgh... Who knows what lurks in there now?" Grim said as he clung to (Y/n)'s shoulder.

"Look, I can see a house," Ace said as he pointed at the cottage. "Let's go see what the people there have to say."

They headed to the cottage for the answers they were looking for.

~

Deuce knocked on the old door, which creaked open and allowed him to peek inside.

"Hellooo? Is anyone home...?" With no answer, Deuce pushed the door open further to step inside. "Must be empty. It looks like it's been abandoned."

The others followed close behind Deuce. The gluttonous demon had to bend down considerably just to get through the doorway.

The inside of the place smelled even worse than Ramshackle. The walls seemed to hold the stench of death. (Y/n) covered their nose to try and block the smell that assaulted thier senses.

"This place smells worse than Solomon's cooking..." (Y/n) mumbled under their breath.

"Bwah! I got a spider web on my face! Ptchoo! Ptchoo!"

"Look how tiny these desks and chairs are. Did children live here?" Ace wondered aloud.

"No. It was probably dwarves. You know, cause it's called 'the Dwarfs' Mine'," (Y/n) sassed causing the red heads' cheeks to flush with embarassment.

"One, two... Seven! It's like a clown car in here."

"When the mine was flourishing, this house must have been a lively place," said Deuce.

"Well, this isn't getting us anywhere. If we're gonna find a magestone, it'll be inside the mine."

And with all said and done, the four of them set off towards the entrance of the mine.

~

"You wanna go inside THERE? It's pitch black!" Grim blurt out.

"What, are you scared of the dark? Pathetic," Ace teased the flaming monster.

"Myah?! I'm not scared of anything!" Grim declared. "I'm taking the lead. You all follow me!"

Grim ran off into the darkness of the mine, the others not far behind.

~

"Huh? Hold up!" Deuce yelled.

"What now?" Ace questioned.

"There's something there!"

"Myah?!"

From out of the darkness a pair of hooded ghosts materialised in front of them.

"Hee hee hee hee! Visitors! The first in ten years!"

"Do make yourselves at home... You can stay forever!"