Chapter 15

"More ghosts?! They're floating around here too!"

"If we stop to fight, we'll never get anywhere. Let's just keep moving," Deuce said firmly.

"Sure, but don't act like we voted you team leader," Ace said defiance. "The only reason we're here in the first place is because of that stupid stunt you pulled."

"Oh? I'm pretty sure this all started because you tried to shirk your window-cleaning punishment!"

"So we're bringing up ancient history now? Then if you wannaAAH!"

"WHAA!"

The boys bickering was cut short when they were pulled away from each other. Both of them were held above the ground by the collar of their blazers. Ace and Deuce peaked behind them and flinched at what they saw.

The Avatar of Gluttony was glaring at them furiously. Their eyes were glowing an ominous purple. Their lips were pulled back into a vicious snarl as a low rumbling growl escaped their throat.

"Stop. Now."

The boys quickly nodded, shaking with fear. (Y/n) let go of their jackets, letting them drop to the ground.

"There's something coming. Hide..." (Y/n) proceeded to corral everyone into a small alcove while keeping them quiet.

The demon's ears twitched, picking up the sounds of scraping and something sludgy coming closer.

"W-what's out there..?" Grim asked feebly.

"Something big... Something dangerous..." They answered.

"...iiivvv... ...oooouuu..." The sound was almost like it was underwater.

"Huh?!" The three cried out in shock before they were shushed by (Y/n).

"Wh-what was that?"

"...neeevvvaaa... ...iiivvv... ...ooouuu..."

"It's getting closer..." Deuce whispered.

(Y/n) peered out of the alcove and gasped quietly at what they saw. It was an inky monster. Its head was like a cracked potion bottle. Its clothing looked as if it had been torn and sewn back together. The monster was holding a pickaxe in its left hand and an old, dimly lit, lantern in its right. The smell of ink was overwhelming to the point it almost made the demon dizzy.

"Stooonesss... Stooonesss aaare miiiiine!"

Moving swiftly, (Y/n) covered the boys' mouths and motioned for Grim to do the same.

"Let's get outta here!" Grim hissed quietly.

"Wait! Didn't it say something about 'stones'?!" Ace whispered harshly.

"Wait, what?!"

"Stooonesss... ...nevvva give stooonesss…!"

"So there ARE still magestones here!" Deuce's voice held relief from the revelation.

The blue haired boy tried to run past the trio only to be pulled back into the alcove. He turned to glare at the person who pulled him back only to shrink under the gaze of the demon.

"W-why did you pull me back? We need a magestone or we'll get expelled!" Deuce tried to argue.

"Are you outta your mind?!" Ace hissed at him.

"I won't let anyone get killed...not like her..." (Y/n) stubbornly told the shorter boy, their tone was firm but held a hint of sadness.

Their words gave the three pause. Deuce looked conflicted before he steeled his gaze and stared at (Y/n) with determination.

"I won't die. And I won't be expelled! No matter what!" Deuce cried as he ran towards the inky monster.

"Deuce!" (Y/n) hesitated before chasing after the reckless human.

The two fought together with (Y/n) drawing the monsters attention and effortlessly avoiding it's attacks while giving Deuce an opportunity to use his own attacks.

It wasn't long until Ace and Grim threw themselves into the fray.