Chapter 16

"Begone! Begone! Begooone!" The monster roared as it managed to land a hit on Deuce, sending him flying.

"Bwah!"

"Aw, crap! He's got Loosey-Deucey on the ropes! Not on my watch! Heeyah!" The wind spell Ace cast did nothing but enrage the monster further.

"Rrroooarrrgh!"

"Gah!"

The monster sent Ace barreling in the same direction as Deuce. Unable to let anymore harm come to the boys, (Y/n) dodged the wild swings of the monsters pickaxe as they ran to the dazed boys.

"Myaaah! Stay away from me!" Grim cried as he blasted the monster with fire.

"Grrraaawrrr!"

"It's like nothin's even hurtin' it!" Grim was shocked.

There was a glimmer behind the monster that caught their attention.

"...Huh? Is that..?"

"Behind the monster! There's something sparkling in the mineshaft!" Ace shouted as he gripped (Y/n) arm.

"Could that have been a magestone?!" Deuce's question made the monster even more violent and angry.

"GWAAAAAAAH! Nooo giiive yooouuu stooooooone!"

"(Y/n), we need to book it, and fast! That thing's gonna pound us into tuna paste!" Grim yelled anxiously.

"Run! I've got these two!"

The demon hoisted Ace onto their shoulder and carried Deuce under their other arm. Grim wasted no time in making a beeline for the entrance of the mine and neither did (Y/n).

The demon tightened their grip on the humans they were holding. They bolted past the monster, their steps were so strong it cracked the ground beneath their feet.

"GRRRAAAWRRR!"

~

When they finally reached the old cottage, (Y/n) gently sat the boys down on the grass.

"This should be far enough, I think?" Grim panted as he came to a stop beside the demon.

"Owwww..." Ace groaned in pain. "What was that thing? No one said there'd be anything like that!"

"That was no normal ghost, that's for sure," Deuce said.

"It smelled like ink..."

"Let's just give up and go home. I'll happily take the expulsion if it means never having to fight that thing again," Ace said.

"What?! Myuh-uh, not happenin'! I'd rather die than get expelled from Night Raven!" Deuce protested. "How can you give up when the stone is right there?"

"Pfft. Big talk from someone who's not even half the mage I am," insulted Ace. "You want that stone so bad, go get it yourself. I'm out."

"Oh YEAH?! Fine, go back to your coop, you big chicken!" Deuce screamed at the red head.

"Whaaaaat?! Who're you callin' chicken, huh?!"

"Whoa, Deuce... Is it just me, or did you, like, turn into a totally different person just now?" Grim's words shocked Deuce.

"Huh?!" Deuce coughed to clear his throat. "Sorry... Lost my cool for a second there."

(Y/n), who had been quiet up until now, spoke quietly, their question aimed at the blue eyed boy.

"Do you really want to go back in there?" Deuce nodded firmly. "...okay. I'll help you, however I can.."

Deuce smiled brightly at the demon.

"Now, we need to find some way to defeat that creature and get the magestones."

"Yeaaaaah. Just like the time with the chandelier, right? You 'found some way,' and now here we are," the red haired boy taunted. "We just fought that thing and it creamed us. So what exactly is your plan here, genius? Because I sure don't trust you to improvise!"

"What?! You're the one who—"

"Aaand they're at it again," Grim said as he climbed up (Y/n)'s back.

The boys continued to argue back and forth until (Y/n) had enough. They gestured for Grim to cover his ears, the kit did so without hesitation.

"Would you two knock it off, already?!" They yelled, shocking the humans. "You're acting like my big brothers fighting over who's the better model!"

"Whoa, that was loud. Where'd that come from?"

"That thing is nearly impossible to hurt. If you really want to get the magestone then you need to co-operate!" (Y/n) Explained.

The two boys were still shocked from hearing (Y/n) yell at them but when they registered what was said the boys began to argue.

"With Loosey-Deucey? No way. He'd get me killed!"

"Like it'd be some treat for me to work with you?!"

"We need a proper plan.." (Y/n) mumbled to themself.

"A proper plan? Like some kinda buddy move?" Ace questioned. "Is that a joke? You always say the lamest things with the straightest face, (Y/n)."

"Agreed. No way could I work together with him," Deuce was in agreement with Ace.

Grim curled around the demon's neck as he spoke.

"Yeah, but... Gettin' expelled on the first day... That's pretty lame too. Maybe even lamer."

"W-well..."

"......"

"I did have one idea..." (Y/n) was hesitant.

"Gah... Fine. Let's just get this over with, then," Ace relented. "All right, (Y/n). What's the plan?"

~

All of them made their way to the mines entrance. Grim was quaking in his place on (Y/n)'s shoulder.

"(Y/n)... Is this plan of yours really gonna work?" He asked. "I'm sca—I mean, I'm a little...uh, hungry."

"I'm hungry too... But this should work," (Y/n) assured him.

"It really could. Let's go, (Y/n)!" Deuce said.

It was time for the plan to begin.