Maeve

The Netherlands are amazing. The Olympics are amazing. My sister is amazing.

All the more reason that I wish Dalton was here with me. Of course I miss him, but even more I wish that the incredible experiences I've had here could have been shared with him. Next time I come here, I hope it's with Dalton.

We've been texting every single day while I've been here, since we figured out the best times throughout the day to be in contact with each other. The time difference has been a little challenging, but I'll only be in Europe for a few more days.

I can't wait to go home and give Dalton the biggest, and longest hug. An hours-long hug. There's only one thing I think I've missed more than Dalton himself, and that would be his bed.

Today is a lazy day because we all stayed up drinking late last night. Taytum and Andrew saved the day by getting donuts and coffee for everyone (donuts being one of the best cures for a hangover), and we've all just been watching movies this morning.

Tomorrow is the uneven bar and the balance beam finals, both which Maren is qualified to compete for. The uneven bars is arguably her best event (although some say she sails during floor exercise), so I'm really excited to see her shine.

She's already been through the team final (gold!), and the individual all around (gold!!!). My sister is the best gymnast in the world, winning an individual gold medal for the all around competition. We were all in tears watching her reach her biggest goal in life. Reese called Milo immediately, even though it was super early in the morning her time. We have the best and most supportive family members.

Team USA takes two medals in the uneven bar competition—Maren for gold, and Allison Harrington for silver. Allison is actually one of Maren's good friends—they've been competing together since they were around ten years old, as have most of the other gymnasts on this year's Olympic team. Once you go elite with gymnastics, it becomes a very small world.

Maren takes silver on balance beam, while Danielle Warren (team USA!) takes gold. Maren's routine was almost perfect as always, but she stepped back on her dismount which caused a deduction. A medal is a medal though, and I personally think my little sister killed it today. I love her so, so much.

The floor exercise final is the next day, which Maren does amazing and also wins gold. That's five medals for her—four of them being individually earned. If anyone doubted her before, they've been marginally proven wrong at this point. Maren is a star.

Once her competitions are over with, she ends up staying at our air b&b one night. We celebrate as a family, making some good memories that will last a lifetime.

My sibling trio even takes a couples pictures together—ones that we'll show our grandchildren someday. It's a really good picture. The kind that you immediately want to frame and hang up.

Am I turning into my mother? Probably. But I don't count that as a bad thing. My mother is an incredible person.

The flight is long, but honestly refreshing. The staff serves dinner to everyone since it's a seven hour flight, and we get back to Chicago around 7pm, which is the same time as when we left The Netherlands.

Jamison picks me up from the airport, because she insisted on having some girl time tonight before I go over to see Dalton.

My best friend hugs me as soon as I reach her near baggage claim, and then we walk outside to where she is parked outside.

"I missed you so much, Maevey," Jamison says. "I'm so happy you're back."

"I missed you too, Jay," I say.

Once we're settled in the car, Jamison turns one of our favorite playlists on as we drive to her place. There's only a couple more weeks until we'll officially be living together, and I can't wait. Jamison and I are going to have so much fun as roommates."

"I can't wait until we have our apartment," Jamison says. "We'll finally be able to host a girls' night."

"Yes!" I say. "And maybe a couple's night?"

Jamison squeals at this as we reach a red light.

"Wait, does this mean something happened with Dalton?"

I smile. "Technically not yet. He wanted me to wait until after the Olympics to officially take the next step, even though we've only been seeing each other since we started talking. We just haven't said we're exclusive out loud."

"Maeve," Jamison says. "This might be the one. He might be it for you."

I giggle. "I know! How crazy is it that this has all happened in the span of a year?"

"Crazy. But a good crazy. I'm glad there's finally someone who makes you feel as valued as you truly are."

"Not to mention that I have the greatest best friend in the world," I say.

Jamison smiles. "I picked a wedding planner. She's really cool. You're gonna like her."

"Yay!" I say. "Have you guys found a venue yet?"

"We've looked at a few. Now we're just trying to figure out which date we want, and what venue has it available."

"Aww," I say. "Jay, I'm so excited for you."

Jamison and Nick have been together for a long time, and he treats her so well. Their relationship has been beautiful to witness, and I can't wait to see what their future has in store.

The reason Jamison is going to be living with me for a while, is that Nick is currently in a paid internship in New York. They're not getting married for about another two-ish years, but Jamison's already getting a head start on planning.

The two of us hang out at her apartment for a couple hours, just catching up because we missed each other. Jamison is almost an extension of me at this point—we've been through so much together. I'm so lucky to have a best friend like her.

Jamison drops me off at my parents' house, because my car is there, so I take the time to shower and pack my overnight bag before I head over to Dalton's place.

As soon as I knock on the door, it opens, and Dalton's nose is buried in my neck as we squeeze each other in a tight hug. 

"I missed you so much, Peach," he says.

I smile up at him before our lips meet for a quick greeting kiss.

"I think I missed you more," I say.