Maeve

My parents wanted me to come over for lunch, so I'm spending the afternoon at their house.

"I can't believe my baby is 25," Mom says, wrapping her arms around me. "It feels like yesterday that I held you for the first time."

"We are endlessly proud of you, and the strong, independent, and intelligent young woman you've become, Maeve," Dad says.

Mom smiles at me. "We have a few presents for you, if you want to open them now."

I smile. "Okay," I say.

The firsts gift is a travel scrapbook, made from all of the pictures we've taken in various countries we've been to in the past year or so. Taytum must've helped out with this one.

Next, a new Michael Kors handbag. My mother must've seen me eyeing this one, because it's been on my radar for a few months now.

"No way," I say. "Mom, how'd you know?"

"Because I'm your mother," she simply states.

After my new purse, is a new bottle of my favorite perfume—the same scent I've been using since sophomore year of college.

Lastly, my dad hands me an envelope.

"What's this?" I ask.

Mom and Dad look at each other, both of them smiling.

"We know how hard you've been working, especially to save up for a house in the future," Mom says. "So, this is a down payment. You don't have to use it now, you could save it if you want."

"It also doesn't have to be for a house. If you want a new car, you could use that as a down payment. We just wanted to do something to show you how much we love and appreciate you, honey."

Tears well up in my eyes. "You guys didn't have to do this," I say. "Especially with Christmas coming up, this is so generous of you. I truly don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you two as my parents. You really have given me such a good life."

"Awww, honey," Mom says, giving me another hug. She kisses the top of my head. "We love you so, so much."

Dad joins our hug, his cheek resting on the top of my head. "No matter how old you get, you'll always be our baby. You made our transition into parenthood a breeze."

"I love you both so much," I say, wiping my tears away.

"Happy birthday, lovey," Mom says. "We're so lucky to have such wonderful kids."

The three of us have lunch together, which I cherish. It's not everyday that I get to spend time with my parents like this, just the three of us. However, it's always special when we get the opportunity.

When I get back to my apartment, I'm getting ready to go over to Dalton's when Reese, Dominic and Milo both stop by.

"We have gifts!" Reese announces as soon as I let her into my apartment.

I can't help but laugh. "You guys are crazy."

"It's your 25th!" Reese says. "This is a milestone birthday, Maeve."

"Yep, time for my quarter-life crisis."

"Happy birthday, sissy poo," Milo says, giving me a hug.

"Thanks, brother bear," I say. That's been Milo's nickname since he was a baby, since he's the first boy in the family.

"Well, are you gonna open them?" Reese asks, sitting down at the counter.

"Okay," I say. "What should I open first?"

"Taytum gave me this to give to you," Reese says, handing me an envelope.

Inside, is just a card. When I open the card, it says.

"Hi, Maeve! Hope you're enjoying your birthday! I decided for your gift this year, that we're taking a girls' trip to the location of your choosing! I will plan everything, you just need to let me know who you want to bring, and where you want to travel to! You deserve a fun little trip! I love you so much, and am so thankful for everything you've done for me. Love, Taytum"

"No way," I say.

"What is it?" Reese asks.

"Taytum's gonna organize a girls' trip, and she's letting me choose who goes on the trip, and where we go."

"No way," Reese says. "Taytum is so thoughtful."

I smile. "She's the best."

"My turn," Milo says, handing me a gift bag. "This is from me and Sabrina. She would be here, but she's at work."

I take the tissue paper out of the bag to find a fresh, 1st Edition copy of one of my all time favorite pieces of classic literature, Little Women.

I gasp. "How did you find this, Milo? I've been looking for this for like almost ten years."

Milo smiles. "Dalton may have helped us track it down."

"Ugh," I say. "He's the best. You guys are the best too. This is so thoughtful of you, Miles," I continue, giving my brother a big hug.

"Happy birthday, Maeve."

Next, Reese slides a big bag over to me, and it's labeled with "Chanel".

"Reese Elizabeth," I say. "What the hell did you do?"

"Hey, if I can afford to spoil my family, I'm going to," she says. "Open it."

Inside is a beautiful purse, and a brand new, full-sized bottle of Chanel No. 5. I can't believe it.

"Reese," I say. "You shouldn't have. This is beautiful." I take out the purse to scrutinize it. This might be the coolest and prettiest purse I've ever seen. It totally is something I would've picked, which goes to show how well Reese pays attention to people's tastes.

"These gifts all mean so much," I say, giving Reese a big hug.

"We just want to show our appreciation for you," Reese says.

"Happy birthday," Dominic adds.

The four of us chat for a little bit longer until it's time for me to actually get ready. Dalton and I are seeing a show in the city tonight, so I'm wearing a black dress with sheer black tights, boot heels, my fancy black coat, and my hair slicked up into a nice bun.

I somehow manage to finish my makeup at the exact time Dalton arrives to pick me up, wrapping his arms around me in a hug and kissing me.

"Happy birthday, Peach," he says. "Let's have the time of our lives tonight."