Dalton

Bright and early, Maeve and I are welcomed into my grandparents' house for breakfast. My family has made a ton of food for today, since we're all tailgating in a little bit.

This is one of the most important college sports events of the year, so everyone goes crazy. The partying lasts all day and into the night.

My grandparents made a ton of food. A whole spread for breakfast, plus all of the appetizers and finger foods for the tailgate. This game is a huge deal to my family every year, especially because a lot of us are Georgia alumni. This game is basically a holiday to us.

Maeve and I leave my grandparents' house after we finish eating, to meet up with my friends before the game. The tailgate lot is already packed, so I'm glad my Uncle Jim is already here and reserving the spot our family usually takes for our set up.

It's nicer outside than we expected, but still somewhat chilly. I think Maeve is really enjoying the SEC atmosphere so far. Football fans here are diehard for their team.

"Do you guys want a picture?" Lacy asks, holding up her film camera. "You guys are such a cute couple, you should commemorate your first Georgia game together."

Maeve and I smile for the camera, and then I kiss her cheek for good measure.

"Ugh. You two melt my heart," Lacy says.

"Thanks, Lacy," I say. "Your photography is much appreciated."

"Will you send them to us?" Maeve asks.

"Of course," Lacy says.

Maeve and I spend a while with my friends before some of us head over to my family's space. They set up a tent with a ton of food and drinks, and my grandpa even set a television up for pre-game coverage. My grandma is happily in a camping chair with one of my cousins' children in her lap, and everyone else is just hanging out.

I love seeing Maeve interact with my family. My cousins enjoy her company. My aunts have all told me how beautiful and kind they think she is. I agree with them.

Aunt Lori has already asked me when I'm proposing. I tell her it's a little too soon for that—Maeve and I just started to settle down. We might move in together a year or so from now, maybe live together a while before getting engaged. We'll see what happens.

Once Maeve and I are able to walk around by ourselves a bit, I find myself unable to stop smiling.

"What's with you, Smiles McGee?" Maeve asks.

I chuckle. "I'm just so happy right now. This weekend has been so much fun. Thank you."

"Awww," Maeve says. "I'm glad this weekend has been good for you. I know how much you were looking forward to this."

"Mostly because I finally got to bring you down here. To meet my family, and my college friends."

"They're all so nice," Maeve says. "You have great people around you."

"And the best girlfriend," I say.

Maeve squeezes my hand. "You're the sweetest."

"Confession time?" I ask. It's this thing we say before we tell each other something important.

Maeve stops. "Where's the body? I'll help you hide it."

I chuckle, before tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. I just love seeing her whole face, not blocked by stray strands of hair.

"I've known how I felt for a while, I just didn't know when to say it. I realized that any moment would be perfect, just because I'm sharing it with you. The truth is, I love you, Maeve. I've known for a long time that I love you."

Maeve smiles. "I love you too, Dalton. You have no idea how much this all means to me. To be in such a happy and healthy relationship. I never thought I'd be able to find someone like you, but you showed up right on time."

I lean down, pressing my lips against Maeve's. She kisses me back immediately, smiling against my mouth.

"Now we can tell each other all the time," she says, our foreheads pressed together.

I peck her lips again, quickly this time. "All the time," I say.

-

Maeve and I find our seats pretty quickly before the game gets started, so we take a selfie together as a keepsake. We're both kind of sentimental like that—Maeve still has pictures of us saved from when we were in high school. I'll treasure it forever.

The first half of the game is honestly a little stressful. I find myself holding my breath whenever Alabama has possession of the ball. However, Georgia takes the lead right before halftime.

"I think I need another drink," I say.

Maeve smiles. "Yeah, let's go get one."

"How do burgers sound once this is over?" I ask. "I really could go for one."

"Burgers sound perfect," Maeve says. "Burgers and beer after a football game? You can always sign me up."

"This is why you're my girlfriend. We always seem to be on the same page."

"Great minds think alike," Maeve says. "Plus, we love each other."

I smile at her as we reach the line for the beer booth. "We do love each other."

Maeve leans her head against my arm as we stand in line. I'll admit that it has been a really long day today, but worth it to see such a great game with one of my favorite people.

I wrap my arm around her waist and kiss the top of her head. "Today's been really nice. I'm glad we got to come to the game."

Maeve smiles up at me. "Me too. Thanks for bringing me down to Georgia. I hope we can come back soon."

"Definitely, baby," I say. "Maybe we'll travel some more in the near future."

"Oooh," she says. "That would be fun."

"Plus, we have our Ireland trip."

"And our detour to Italy," she says.

"Exactly. We're going to have a blast, Peach."

We make it back to our seats just as halftime is ending, and the Georgia Bulldogs have even more energy in the second half. They've intercepted twice now, and things are not going well for Bama. This is incredible, because Georgia lost the last time they were on home turf against Alabama. This is their redemption.

Georgia beats Alabama 47-20, and I can't stop hugging Maeve. She must be a good luck charm to Georgia or something, because they didn't falter once in this game.

I kiss the top of my girlfriend's head. "Now you have to come to every Georgia-Bama game with me. They won because you're here."

Maeve laughs before reaching on her tiptoes to kiss me. "I'll go where you go, honey."

"I love you," I say.

"I love you too."