Maeve

After dinner (which involves a bottle of champagne and the most delectable Italian dessert I've ever had), Dalton and I make our way back to his family's home.

This night has been one of the most beautiful nights of my life. The weather in Italy is perfect, Dalton has been nothing but sweet, and I'm really glad that we got to have our own moment together before our families will want to celebrate with us.

"I do have one last surprise for you," Dalton says, pouring a glass of champagne for me once we're seated at the backyard table.

"Really? How can there be more?"

"Your family is here," I say. "In fact, your parents had the ring almost the entire time after I bought it. I met up with your dad when I went for a coffee run this morning."

I laugh. "Actually? So, my parents are here?"

"Yes," Dalton says. "And your siblings, and Reese, and Tenley and Josh. Plus Jamison."

"They all knew and didn't say anything?" I laugh again. "I am shocked that Reese kept a secret. She can't keep her mouth shut to save her life."

"Taytum bribed her," he says.

"Of course she did," I say.

"Anyway, we're having brunch with them tomorrow to celebrate."

"Thank you for all of this," I say. "I'm glad we get to enjoy this night to ourselves before involving other people. It really means a lot, how much thought you put into all of this."

"I wanted it to be perfect," Dalton says. "You deserve it more than anyone."

I smile. "So, when do you wanna get hitched?"

"What time of year are you thinking? Spring? Summer?" he asks.

"I'm thinking late summer, early fall. I want it to be warm, but not get freezing at night."

"Will we have an outdoor wedding?"

"Depends on the venue," I say. "Maybe indoor wedding, outdoor reception. It's all weather permitting though. But we have time to figure this all out."

"What about next August? That gives us almost a year to plan."

I smile. "August sounds perfect."

"Looks like we're getting married next summer," Dalton says.

I lean across the corner of the table to kiss him, smiling against his lips as he kissed me back.

"I love you so much," I say. "I can't believe we're finally getting married."

"You're going to be the most beautiful bride in the world," Dalton says. "I can't wait to see you in your dress."

"I can't wait to pick one out," I say. "Oh, goodness. There's so much to do! I have to pick a maid of honor. I don't know whether to go simple and have my sister as the maid of honor, or if I go Taytum's route and have two? Taytum and Maren? Or Jamison and Maren? I was Jamison's and Taytum's. Ugh, this is going to be a hard decision."

"Sleep on it," Dalton says. "It'll come to you."

I nod. "Will your sister want to be a bridesmaid?"

Dalton smiles. "I know she'd love to. She's been begging me to marry you since the second we started dating. She's one of your biggest fans."

I laugh. "Okay. I was hoping you'd say that."

We stay outside, even though it's getting darker and the back porch light isn't the best source. No matter where we are, Dalton and I can talk for hours. It's still warm outside, and the breeze from the water nearby is floating in gently.

I can't stop staring at the ring Dalton got me. It's the most gorgeous piece of jewelry I've ever received.

As Dalton and I fall asleep, I start to think about my dream wedding. Honestly, as long as I'm marrying Dalton, any wedding is my dream.

-

The first person to hug me when we arrive at our brunch is my mother.

"I'm so happy for you, Maevey Girl," she says. "I love you so much."

I can't help but giggle. I'm just feeling over the moon. "Thanks, Mom," I say. "I love you too."

My Dad gives Dalton a hug and pats him on the back, congratulating us in the process. Then my siblings both crowd me in a group hug, and Sabrina offers her congratulations. I hope she knows that she'll be one of my bridesmaids. We've grown especially close since she's been with my brother.

After we get the initial excitement out of the way, we all sit down to have a nice meal. Jamison sits next to me, Dalton on the other side. It's another beautiful day in Italy, and all of us are having fun celebrating this occasion.

I love that Dalton included my family this weekend, yet we also got to spend our engagement night alone together. It really shows how much thought he put into planning this out, and how much he wanted it to be perfect for the two of us.

He really is the sweetest man I've ever met.

Two days later when we get home, there's a huge bouquet of flowers on our kitchen counter with a note.

Congratulations on your engagement! We are so proud of both of you and can't wait to celebrate!

Love, Taytum, Andrew, and Baby Noelle.

"Awww," I say. "This is so sweet. I should call Taytum."

Dalton chuckles. "We'll have to bring them dinner sometime soon."

Our family has a tradition of making each other dinner when there's a new baby around, just to be helpful for the parents. Especially if the baby is their first born. So, everyone's been taking turns bringing dinner to Taytum and Andrew while they take care of little Noelle.

Taytum picks up almost as soon as I dial, which surprises me.

"You called just in time. I just put Elle down for her nap."

"We just got home," I say. "I wanted to thank you for the beautiful flowers."

"Of course," Taytum says. "I can't wait for your wedding. It's going to be so magical."

I giggle.

Taytum continues, "So, when are you coming over to let me see the ring?"

"Whenever you want. Dalton and I were thinking about bringing dinner over sometime soon anyway; and I wanna see the baby."

"Well, Andrew's parents brought dinner over for tonight, so that's covered. If you guys want to come visit, feel free. Andrew and I are just hanging out."

"Okay," I say. "We'll probably be there soon."

"Perfect," Taytum says.