Maeve
A month later

When Dalton and I toured the first venue, both of our mothers come with us. Amanda adored that venue, and she's even had a few events there for work in the past.

I have to admit that it's really nice, but I was also wondering what else Chicago had to offer. Taytum also sent me some venues she thought suited Dalton and I, so I booked tours for those too.

As of then, we had six venues to choose from.

The second one gave me a nostalgia feeling for some reason. I'd never been there, but it felt familiar. I wrote that down in my journal—a gift from my mother; something to keep track of my thoughts, feelings, and stressors while planning my wedding. Someday I'll read this back and smile because Dalton is such an incredible partner to me.

The third and fourth venues are both disappointing to me. I had high hopes for them, and then they didn't look as great as they did on the pictures online.

At the end of the week, I was between two venues.

The second, and the fifth one we toured.

The second one was an indoor wedding venue, but it also had an outdoor reception space. If the weather were to go wrong, we'd still have a space to celebrate. It was a modern industrial building with floral touches around. I really liked it, and they also had amenities such as vendors for everything we'll need.

The other venue was an estate, with a beautiful outdoor botanical space. It's very sophisticated and classy, and is straight out of a hypothetical romance novel.

In the end, we go with the estate. It's just so pretty, and will make for a novel-worthy wedding. It is perfect for Dalton and I, because of our connections to literature.

We're able to get the date of August 24th, which is perfect. Since it's closer to September, it's the part of August that starts getting less humid at night.

My next order of business is asking all of my girls to be bridesmaids in my wedding. My sister and Sabrina will be my maids of honor, Taytum, Reese, and Tenley will be bridesmaids, along with Jamison, Paisley, Jackie, Abby, and Kenna.

I know that's going to make for a big wedding party, but these women are all such important pieces of my life. They all deserve to be a part of it.

I make personalized baskets for each of them, filled with trinkets, snacks, and things that remind me of them. Little things reminiscent of our friendships and family ties. Then I take the time to bring each basket to all of the girls. I'm ecstatic when they all say yes to being a part of my bridal party.

So, I host a lunch at my house, just to kick off the wedding-planning journey.

"The reason I wanted to have everyone here today was not only to treat you all to a nice little girls' lunch, but I also have a couple of things about the wedding to discuss. To make it easier for everyone planning wise, I was wondering if you all wanted to split up each event to be organized. Obviously my mom and Dalton's mom are doing a lot, but I thought I'd be nice to evenly distribute everything. If there's anything you guys want to be in charge of, let me know."

Paisley raises her hand. "Can I be in charge of the bridal shower?"

I smile. "Of course," I say. "Anyone else want to join Paisley?"

Next, Jamison and Sabrina. "We want the bachelorette weekend."

"Reese?" I ask, after she has raised her hand.

"Tenley and I want the welcome party," she says.

I nod. "Perfect."

Taytum next. "I want the rehearsal dinner."

Lastly, Maren, Jackie, Kenna, and Abby decide. "We'll do the next day brunch and sendoff."

I smile. "Yay! That's all! You guys are seriously the best group of women, and I'm so lucky to have all of you. Each of you have been such an important piece of my life, and I just want to thank you all for celebrating this time with me."

Jamison holds her lemonade up, smiling. "A toast, to our beautiful Maeve."

"Cheers!" a few of the girls say, as everyone clinks their glasses together.

My mother and Dalton's mother, Amanda, have been so helpful in helping me find a wedding planner, and picking out vendors for the wedding. They've done so much already, and I can't believe how smoothly everything has gone so far.

The next three orders of business are as follows: find a wedding dress, celebrate Dalton's birthday, and pick out our first puppy.

Our engagement party was simple, but a lot of fun. My parents invited all of our close family and friends, and it was a pretty chill and relaxed evening. Exactly the kind of night that Dalton and I would hope for.

I booked my appointment for a wedding dress fitting, which I am really excited for. I can't wait to be a bride. This is what I've dreamed of since I was a kid.

Dalton and I do end up finding a little puppy—a brown toy poodle, who we name Poppy. Just as we decided almost a year ago at Taytum and Andrew's wedding.

Poppy is adorable. She's fun, and sweet, and Dalton got suckered into letting her sleep in our bed with us at night—he felt bad when we put her in the crate.

Although she gets up to go outside every two hours, it's worth it. She won't be like this forever, eventually she'll learn to hold her bladder. But, she's playful, cuddly, and perfect for us.

It's so nice to have a dog in my life that doesn't constantly cause me to sneeze.

A couple of weeks after we got Poppy, is Dalton's birthday. The (three) of us have a quiet night at home, watching movies and eating takeout from the local Thai place. Dalton just wanted a nice night at home together, and it ended with the sleepy puppy laying on his chest.

"I don't want to get up," he says. "I feel bad waking her."

I smile. "You're going to completely spoil our children, aren't you?"

"Poppy is a princess," he says. "Just like how you are my Queen."

Leaning closer, I kiss Dalton's cheek before also leaning my head on his chest. Poppy stirs, but stays asleep. She's perfect.

When we do finally go to bed, she settles herself right between Dalton and I. Honestly, I never imagined having a puppy sleeping between me and my fiancé, but Poppy is way too spoiled by us.

Dalton and I can't help it—pets are special. Especially because I never could have one until now. I was always allergic. Since Poppy is hypoallergenic, I won't have any issues with her.

As I fall asleep, I can't help but smile when Poppy repositions herself to lay right against me. I love that she feels so safe in our bed. She barely whines unless she has to go outside.

I didn't know what to expect with getting a dog, but it feels like Poppy has been ours forever. In a few short weeks, she's become an essential part of our home, and I'm loving it.