Chapter 9

Shift 1

I parked my motorcycle a couple of meters from the back door of the club. At the entrance, near the guard, I call the administrator, Alla Vladimirovna.

It rings...

"Hello, I was hired yesterday, and choreographer Alena said I should come today," I say awkwardly and foolishly into the phone.

"Hello, and what's your name?" She asks.

"My name is Kira Modest, I've already entered the club and I'm standing here near the guard." 

"Oh yes, they told me about you. Stay there, I'll come over now." She replies and immediately hangs up.

During those five minutes, while I was waiting, different girls came by. They signed up on the tablet and entered the room next to the guard. I managed to catch a glimpse of what was happening in that room. As I already understood, it was the makeup room. The first time I saw it, I didn't think about it.

The administrator comes after me. She was in heels and tight white pants, and a black top. In general, I already understood her style of clothing, it was just right for such a place. 

"I'm glad you finally agreed and came to us."

I'm about to respond when a girl with a bob haircut, whom I had seen during a training session, walks into the club. 

"Yes, hello again," I reply to the administrator and look at the girl. "Did they hire you too?" I turn to her with curiosity. 

"Yes, hello. You must be Alla Vladimirovna?" She asks.

"Yes. What's your name?"

"I'm Sasha."

"Alright, girls, follow me," she quickly says and gestures with her hand for us to follow her. 

Before that, the security guard quickly inspected us but didn't take our phones. It made me shortly feel like I belonged in this place. 

We followed her down this long corridor — I still can't get used to it, and I can't remember how many turns there are. 

We enter the hall, pass by the bar, and head towards the iron golden cage, tucked away like the pole I practiced dancing on during training. This cage is round, and a large ring hangs inside it, surrounded, of course, by small sofas and tables. 

"Take a seat; our head of security will come soon to talk to you. He has already checked your passports against the database and wants to ask you a few questions." 

We sit quietly on the sofas, and I feel a bit nervous. What other questions does he want to ask us, and why did he check us? I recall that they asked for my passport during the interview and took it somewhere, probably to make a copy. That's how they could find me in the database. I reflect on it and realize that it's the right thing for them to do. They need to be sure about those they hire.  

"What do you think he'll ask us?" A girl Sasha asks me.

"I have no idea, but I'm really curious about this cage. Do we have to dance in it? And if so, how do we do it, and why is there a ring hanging inside?" We both look at the cage, examining every piece of iron. 

"Well, I think it's not necessary to perform tricks using that ring. You can just gracefully move to the music inside it," she replies. 

She's much more relaxed and confident than I am. I have no idea what I'll do in there if I have to dance. And I'm also curious about how I'll feel in it when men sit on these sofas, where we are sitting now, and watch me... Oh God, there will actually be men sitting here and watching me! It's so silly that I seem to realize this every time as if for the first time, although I understood it a long time ago.