Chapter 7

I walked into the dining room with my mate by my side. My whole body was tense while I looked at the faces that were gathered there, some more familiar to me than others.

I kept my face stoic, neutral even, making sure that no one knew what I was feeling and all of this unnerved me.

I wasn't used to this, not one bit where all eyes were on me and not just the few members I had year after year in being the Commander of my little group before I stepped down and gave it to a man that I knew was worthy of it and the responsibilities that came with it.

Whispers started as soon as I entered the dining room, most of them good while there were a few nasty ones that made my blood boil a little, but I didn't react because it was not worth it.

Lorcian squeezed my hand and paid them no heed, even though I could tell that he was a little annoyed. His whole body was relaxed, and he looked calm and in charge while he walked to the table where Colt, Troy, Ethan, and Ari sat, watching us draw closer and closer to the table.

I pressed my lips into a thin line but followed him. My grip on his hand became a little tighter while I looked around, finding all the exits if I needed to make a sudden escape, even though I had a feeling my mate wouldn't allow me to.

"Hi, J- er, Fox," Ari said and grinned sheepishly when my gaze landed on her. She smiled and bowed her head before she cleared her throat and cocked her head. "How did you sleep?"

"Good," I said with a small hum and nodded, offering her a tight smile. "You can call me Jo or Jo Anne, you know that right?" I asked and raised an eyebrow. "I'll answer to them as well, so you don't have to continue to call me just Fox."

Ari hesitated but nodded. "It's... just weird," she admitted, and I hummed and nodded in agreement because it was weird for me, too. She cleared her throat and rubbed her face before she offered me a tight smile. "I might get confused. I hope that you won't mind."

"I won't," I said and shook my head while I sat down at the table with Lorcian still at my side. "I know that it will be weird for some people." I paused and cleared my throat while I looked at a person who set a plate of food and something to drink in front of me. I offered them a tight smile before I turned my attention back to the group that was gathered. "More so than others." I glanced at Ethan when I said that, and Ethan raised an eyebrow and stopped eating with his fork close to his mouth.

Ethan hesitated before he set down his fork and cocked his head while he stared at me. "What?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question. "What did I do?"

"It's what you didn't do," I said and raised both of my eyebrows in unison, and Ethan cocked his head further while he continued to stare at me with furrowed brows.

"Didn't do what?" he asked while he looked between me and his mate and then back at me again, changing the furrowed brows into one brow being raised in question. He looked at his mate, again, hoping that she would have some information for him that I didn't provide. "What did I not do?"

Ari shrugged and looked at me, mildly amused but also confused. "What didn't he do?"

I didn't respond and took a small sip of my drink while I smirked and raised both eyebrows again.

Ethan scoffed and rolled his eyes before he started to eat, again. "I've never had a hard time calling you Fox, Jo," he said, "or Jo when we were alone, and you said it was safe." He covered his mouth with his hand and cleared his throat while he shifted on his feet. "Sam on the other hand..."

I rolled my eyes and scowled. "Sam wasn't as bad as you, especially when we left the first time." I gave him a pointed look, and he shrugged and grinned.