A Different Malik

SAME TIME, SAME DAY OCT, 2014

T R E V O N •

We were so silent, that you probably could hear our heartbeats from a room over. The moonlight shone through my windows casting a beautiful blue light on Malik, and if we weren't in the situation we were in I'd try to capture this moment forever...

Forever...

It's starting to seem like a foreign word to me.

Malik looked at me, his eyes so wide it looked as if they would bulge from the sockets, as he held his hand over my mouth.

I saw his eyes gloss for a second, and then they dried.

I then saw the panic, fear, and despair on his face, but that went away too. "Whurs your gun?" he whispered.

"Maybe it's just the wind—" he covered my mouth again as we lay in the dark in my room.

He shook his head. "Keep your voice down," he whispered again.

We heard another noise, and some low sounds that sounded like talking, but it was too far away to hear.

When I heard that, the panic started to set in.

That's when I started to realize the awful position we were in.

It made me think of why we've been spending so much time at my place.

Of course, it would happen on my birthday too.

No corny shit, but sometimes it feels like I'm cursed.

"Whur is yo gun, Tre?" Malik whispered again. I pulled out of him, making his eyes roll back a bit as I quietly got up from my bed going to retrieve it myself.

I bought a safe box for it, so it wouldn't just be lying around.

As quietly as I could, I pulled it from under my bed and put in the combination.

I took it out of the box and held it in my hand. I took a deep breath, but I tried to remember what I was taught.

"Give it ta me," he told me holding his hand out.

"Malik,"

I knew he was more experienced, but I wanted to protect him this time.

"Give—it—to me," he looked at me his eyes looking at me like he was when we were at Tasha's brothers' house. I handed it to him, and then we both quietly put on some joggers that I left out.

"Stay in hur,"

"Baby," I whispered back. "I'm not leavin' you,"

He nodded. "Yes you are—" he told me but got interrupted by another sound. "Please," he looked back at me with begging eyes.

I stood firm. "No," he just sighed putting his head down, wiping his eyes with the hand that wasn't holding the gun.

"Okay, jus stay behind me please," he whispered to me as we slowly exited my room.