Chapter 16 | An Unexpected Discovery

"Speaking" 'Thinking'

Mai climbed down the ladder of the train and walked around the area, noticing a few others that resembled the train Izuku had set up camp in. "This just doesn't make any sense, how come all of them are so broken down and rusty." Mai questioned, turning to face the train Izuku was still in, he was looking at her from the dust filled window and couldn't really tell what she was saying. She walked further away, so Izuku ended up giving in and leaving his things in the train, following after Mai as she wandered.

The large building he'd originally planned on avoiding grew closer and closer as Mai's curiosity took over. He was hesitant to go any closer, but Mai had other plans, no interest in letting this chance go to waste, how could you not explore an abandoned building when it was right in front of you, that was like not stealing from some annoying ass kid's desk while no one else was in the room, like come on. 

Mai had forgotten about her tiredness and crept closer and closer to the large building. It was bigger than he thought it was, two stories at least. He wasn't aware that they made railyard buildings so large, there shouldn't be that many people working here to begin with, or so he thought.

Mai looked around and found the large set of doors, probably over nine feet. It reminded him of a large fire station. There were larger garage-like doors further down, no doubt a loading dock or a truck entrance. The doors looked to be over seventeen feet tall. The building itself was huge.

Mai looked around excitedly, pulling at the handle and groaning as she found the door locked tight. "Damnit! I was hoping to explore a bit, who would lock an abandoned building, I mean, the walls are even starting to crack, what's the point in locking the place down. Izuku thought the same, curious, he stepped in front of Mai, though his body wasn't all that strong itself, he couldn't feel anything, so even if he hit something harder than he should, he wouldn't be able to feel it. He stood in front of Mai, raised his foot and kicked the door harshly, it didn't budge at first, but with two more kicks, the handle began to shake and soon they were able to get inside. 

"Doesn't your leg hurt...?" Mai asked him as she pulled the handle and flinched as a large crash came from the other side of the door. Mai and Izuku looked at on another, Mai looking surprised and Izuku simply looking at her and back toward the door. Izuku wasn't about to not go inside after he'd already kicked the door in, that's just plain dumb, why do something to not even follow through.

"Uh..., don't you think we should give it a moment, what if there's someone in there. You do know breaking into places like this is highly against the law right..., like against the government..." Mai told him. Izuku shook his head and pushed the door aside, the hinges screeching loudly as the door moved, it sounded like they hadn't moved in years, the hinges nearly falling apart as soon as the door moved.

Mai hesitantly followed from behind, looking around the building and noticing the handle was probably what made the sound, it had fallen onto a shard of broken glass and cracked it into a bajillion little pieces. 

She sighed heavily, thankful that there wasn't someone inside as she stepped out from behind Izuku's back. "Right! Let's get exploring!" She spoke excitedly, a wide grin stretching across her face. Izuku simply nodded, glancing around and noticing something odd about the building. There were plants sprawling out from cracks in the floor and walls, now, it would be normal if the building had been abandoned a few decades ago, but the cracks didn't look to be formed naturally. It was like, something had exploded here or something, no, more like this was the work of a group of people, completely destroying the entire building. Quirk users maybe? Taking out their frustrations. This place definitely wasn't old enough to be pre-quirk war, so it didn't make sense for a group of people to destroy a government facility. Unless of course, a villain attack?

Izuku looked around the place curiously, he hadn't realized he'd become so interested in the topic. In all honesty, he couldn't really care less about villain attacks, but, he also didn't like the idea of staying so close to a possible villain's hideout, it could lead to some uncomfortable situations. Although he wasn't all that careful with his body, he'd only just woken up from his coma a while ago, the thought of being put into another one was just annoying, he at least hoped that if he was attacked, they'd hopefully make sure to take the finishing blow this time. He wasn't interested in his brain becoming even worse than it already is, or, his nerves that is.

Izuku noticed something odd stationed on a wall. A large picture frame, some filled with diploma-looking papers and large picture frames. It was confusing, he felt like he'd seen some of them before, but couldn't quite remember from where. Each of them were rather plain looking, short cut hair and equally plain features aside from all of them sharing similar eye color. Deep red eyes, it was even more confusing to him at this point, he didn't know anyone with red eyes, let alone blonde hair, the only person with blonde hair he'd seen after waking up from his coma was that American on the road. Even then, he didn't really get a good look at the man, but he's pretty sure he didn't have red eyes, it wasn't all that usual to see someone with blonde hair and red eyes.

Izuku shook his head, the diploma's were all old and slightly charred, meaning the place was probably on fire at some point. It was definitely starting to look more and more like a villain attack had occurred.

Mai came over and looked at the pictures as well, her eyes narrowing at the jumbled faces of the pictures. "Who are they?" She asked him. Izuku merely shrugged, noticing an image at the bottom, a young girl holding a man's hand, a large mischievous looking smile covering her features. 

"They look so happy..." Mai spoke bitterly as she looked around the crumbling building. "Do you think they got caught up in all of this." Mai asked him, worried that they may find something they shouldn't.

Izuku inwardly sighed as he looked around the place, he wasn't expecting to get so much backstory simply from looking at a few pictures, it made this building far more interesting, yet also depressing...

Izuku placed a hand against the white brick walls, the inside of the building equally falling apart. Large holes in multiple spots of the building, there was definitely some kind of attack here, he just wasn't sure why or what happened here. He suddenly felt that it wasn't all that great of an idea to explore much further, at this rate, he'd probably stay here all day, simply looking for clues about this place.

Izuku looked around, spotting Mai in front of a large hole in the floor. Izuku walked over curiously, plants sprawled out of it despite there being no sunlight in the building. 

"Isn't it weird?" Mai asked him. Izuku nodded, looking around, it was the same for the others, plants sprawling about despite no sunlight reaching inside of the building, this place was also burned so it was likely there wasn't much water either, he didn't really know how they survived.

Izuku looked around a bit more before looking back toward the door, he pointed toward the door and Mai nodded. "You're right, we probably shouldn't look around too much, this place looks like it'll collapse if you even hit a wall wrong." Mai told him.

The two walked out of the building, Izuku was still curious about the owners of this building, how such a place could go un-found, it didn't make sense, there was graffiti on the trains, but the building was completely untouched. He was both curious, but also worried. If it has gone untouched like this, there's a chance people still visit it regularly even though it looks abandoned and ruined.