Chapter 23 | Small Filler

"Speaking" 'Thinking'

As their little group of three sat around the train talking about random books Mai had snagged from her father's shop before hiding away, the topic of his funeral was a repeatedly brought up by surprisingly both Mai and little Ellie, she was interested in what a funeral was and who he was before he became 'Angel'.

Although he wasn't interested in getting caught up in the life before his coma, he himself was kind of curious. He knew a bit about back then, his fondness for writing notes and watching people was something he found intriguing. He wondered if his other self was interested in becoming an analyst or possibly something darker, it'd make sense with how his life was turning out now.

There was also the fact that Mihori may show up, he did grab his go bag from her apartment and all, but even though he'd been around the area, he never once spotted Mihori. Of course, it was dark at that point, not to mention he himself had to sneak around and not get caught. He wondered if the police were still holding onto her even after they discovered he was dead.

"Zuri? What's wrong?" Ellie asked, poking at his arm. He looked toward Mai and the little girl, wondering if it really would be a good idea to go to the funeral, if he'd find out why he can't find Mihori, why he does some of the things he does today. He couldn't help but be curious about the person he was before all this happened. Even if he was a nobody or simply some pest..., he wanted to know.

Izuku inwardly sighed and grabbed Ellie's palm, righting a simple 'ok' on it. She looked up at him in confusion at first, until of course, her little red eyes widened brightly and a smile spread across her face.

"Zuri said ok! He wants to go too!" Ellie told Mai excitedly. Mai looked at him, noticing his look of reluctance. If that was the face he was wearing at this point.

"Are you sure Iz- ah..., Zuri? I mean, this is your funeral, won't it feel weird?" Mai asked him. Izuku grabbed his notebook, pointing to it and writing somewhat hurriedly.

- It's the other me's funeral, that person isn't me. A lot of people I don't even know will be there.- He told her.

Mai looked a bit anxious at his words. "Yeah but, what about your family? I mean, I'm sure they'd like to know that you're still alive right?" Mai asked him. Izuku shook his head. He didn't know any of them, or if he even had a family. He knew about his mother but..., she never once visited him after he'd woken up. And the moment she was about to, was the moment she was going to take him from the hospital to the room of a person he didn't even know. The thought even made his numb limbs shake. It was like looking in the mirror and finding someone completely different staring back at you. Someone that everyone expected you to be, but you don't even know them.

Izuku sighed as he grabbed Ellie and hugged her, even if he couldn't really feel it, he felt like he could use the closeness. -I don't have a family, Mai..., I don't even remember them. Not only that, I'm not the person I was then. They'd expect me to be someone I'm not.- Izuku told her.

Mai nodded, realizing that what he said was true. Izuku had shown her his missing poster, they didn't even use a picture of his current self, instead some bright eyed tween that barely looked to have hit puberty. She stopped herself from laughing at her own thoughts.

"Alright, I guess you coming back from the dead would be questionable anyway. Everyone believes that you're quirkless, right? I wonder if you still are. I mean, you coming back from the dead has to mean something right? Did your heart just stop and start beating after like..., three days or something? That doesn't even make sense..." Mai told him. Izuku looked surprised as she spoke. It'd been three whole days?

"So..., when is the funeral?" Ellie asked them. Izuku stopped and looked down at Ellie. He didn't even know.

"It should be in three days. Apparently a lot of people are going to be there too. UA set up a fundraiser of sorts and now even a bunch of heroes and hero students are going to be there since you apparently wanted to be a hero before you up and died." Mai told him. 

Izuku looked at her and grabbed Ellie's palm. -No - He simply wrote. "Zuri doesn't want to go anymore." Ellie told her.

"Oh come on~ It's not like they'll be able to recognize you anyway! They're still using your old pictures for some reason. We can stick to the back and keep away from others, not to mention, we can put you in some kind of disguise, it shouldn't be that difficult right?" Mai told him, egging him on.

-Mai, these are heroes, they're going to know something's up.- He told her. Mai groaned loudly and fell back on the ground.

"You're so~ boring~" Mai whined. "This could be your chance to know about all the heroes you're going to have to avoid in the future, I mean, even if they find out that you're still alive, does it really matter? You can just up and disappear again? It's not like they're going to find this place anyway, we can just run away if something happens." Mai told him, whining until she got her way.

-What if something does happen though, if someone recognizes me and finds out that I'm still alive, I'll have a hero on my ass every second I leave the railyard, and what happens if they do find out about this place? You've still got a villain after you too, what happens if he finds out that I'm alive?- Izuku asked her, making her understand that what she's asking is dangerous.

She looked at him, a small glare in her eyes. "Does it matter? I have a guy that can beat him up standing right next to me." She looked at him smugly. "And who cares about heroes, we can just ditch them too." She whined. 

Izuku looked at her awkwardly. He really didn't want to put her and Ellie into trouble. If that man does end up finding them, not to mention him, he's not sure what he'll end up doing. All though, he's also pretty sure that he wouldn't heal from those wounds in a matter of three days. Even if he himself did.

-Fine, but we'll stay in the back, we can't get ourselves into trouble, I don't ever want to get thrown back into that stupid hospital or find myself in some stranger's home for the rest of my life.-