Chapter 24 | A Pointless Funeral

"Speaking" 'Thinking'

Three days passed in the blink of an eye, and unfortunately so did his time to hide. Izuku was incredibly reluctant to go. Ellie was one thing, always talking about his funeral as if it was some parade or celebration. But Mai just sent his nerves through the window, she'd dragged him out of the woods to get some clothes that would be appropriate for a funeral. 

"Come on Zuri, it's not going to be that bad~ As long as we don't catch any attention, you get to find out about the people close to you before you 'died'. I mean, you don't even really remember the face of your mother, right?" Mai asked him, combing through his tangled curly hair. With it being longer, he's lost a lot of the fluffiness it had and has started to flatten out a bit.

Izuku sighed internally. In all honestly, he's seen a few pictures of his 'mother' but he still can't remember a thing about her, let alone what she really looks like, those pictures were undoubtedly older. Even the pictures they were using of him were from before the coma.

"Oh come on, what if that woman shows up? She might be there, you never know, it's not only to see those from your past, right?" Mai told him. He looked up at her, his eyes surprisingly calm despite his internal battle with himself.

-Mihori- He wrote.

"Yeah, that woman. I never got to meet her, I'm kind of curious what she's like." Mai told him, brushing through his messy hair.

-She's a little crazy. Aside from that, she's kind. Always looks out for me so I'm not getting into trouble.- Izuku told her.

"So..., is she like your new mother then?" Mai asked him. He simply shook his head.

-She's like a sister. One that would openly beat me if I got on her nerves.- He sighed. Mai snorted at his words and nodded.

"Ok, so not a mother figure. Did she like, kidnap you from the hospital then? I was kind of curious about it all after finding out you'd 'run away'." Mai asked him. He considered it and nodded.

"Right..., that's a bit more concerning now that I think about it. What if you had actually gone back with your mother? I mean, maybe you could have gone back to your old life, you probably wouldn't have the same way of thinking as you do now right? Though, then the two of us wouldn't have met..." Mai spoke, she sounded sad at the end.

-Forget it, I don't plan on going back, and I'm already considered dead by them anyway.- Izuku told her.

Ellie climbed up and into the train, yawning after walking around for a bit. "Zuri, this place is really big." Ellie complained, climbing onto his lap as Mai continued combing through his hair. Izuku wrapped his arms around her and that was that, no more talk, simply Ellie ready to take a nap. He sighed internally as he felt Mai tug at his hair.

"I'm not the greatest at this you know, the only hair I've ever had to deal with is mine, and I keep it short so I don't have to bother putting it up." Mai complained.

-My hair isn't even as long as yours- Izuku told her. 

"Yeah, but it'd be weird to just leave it a mess like it was before, I mean, dad and I didn't really care, but this is a 'special' event. What happens if someone actually does look your way and you're all brooding and disheveled looking. They'll instantly think you're suspicious." Mai told him.

Izuku rolled his eyes and hugged Ellie, positive he was going to fall asleep at this point too. Mai worked with his hair for a while longer, he'd of actually fallen asleep if he hadn't heard her pulling out the hair spray. 

-

Izuku held Ellie as they walked down the street, he was now dressed in a fairly neat suit Mai had forced him to wear. She herself was dressed in dark clothes, refusing to wear the funeral standard dress, however they did have Ellie wear one. Ellie and Mai also wore a mask, they didn't want them recognizing either of them. It was well known that Izuku had been working at her bookstore after all, even though it wouldn't be weird for her to show up as is, she figured it'd be better if they weren't spotted together.