Overture

Here we're finally meeting some of our last main characters for the story! To think I've only written one story involving them, yet now they're going to be here with the rest of the team is kinda wild to me, but hey, it's my story. Some of you may know the two introduced here from a certain birthday present to a friend last year... But anyways, enjoy!
-Jooostan

Shattering the Stars
Chapter 14: Overture

Link found his inability to sleep an incessant pattern. As the rain pelted the bedroom window, he lay on his side, staring at the water dripping down the glass.

He looked at his hand, still thinking about the image that boy, Freddy, showed him on his little device. 'The Legend of Zelda', it said. He remembered distinctly. His mind longed for answers, but his soul wanted the secrets to remain. The conflict within wouldn't end until everything was explained in detail, but it wouldn't happen right away, that much was obvious.

Then, a flash of lightning illuminated the room for a split second. Link waited a moment, and finally, the thunder followed. He estimated that the heart of the storm was a few miles away. Still lying in bed, he reached into his pocket and grabbed the photo of Romani. Each time he looked at her, he felt reborn in a way. The motivation he needed to keep going surged through his soul.

"I promise," Link whispered aloud, plowing through the deafening silence. He felt some emotion gather in his eyes as he thought about Termina. "I'll come home... No matter what, alright?"

Link was met with nothing. No soothing words to calm his restless soul, no comforting embrace to let him melt in, nothing. Loneliness encroached like a predator closing in on its clueless prey, waiting for the perfect moment to lunge out and attack. He remembered Gomess's warning, the one from so many years ago. It just occurred to him that this was the second time he was recalling that simple statement. When the reaper first said it, it was in reference to the Garo, but now, it took on a new meaning.

"Link..." Gomess had practically hissed. "You are a kite... flying into a hurricane," It still baffled Link how the demon knew his name, but that wasn't important. The spectre finished by saying cryptically, "The winds will tear you apart."

Deep down, Link felt like he had been physically torn to shreds. He reluctantly fell asleep while drowning in an infinite ocean of his own sorrow. Moister welled up in his eyes as he tried not to think about the things still haunting him. Shatterhand, the icon, even those strange vines. Right before he dozed off, he muttered to himself, "I just want to go home..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, far beyond the constraints of space and time, two legendary beings were making their journey to a certain world to enlist the help of some very powerful allies. Landia and Empyrea, wings flapping powerfully, soared across the precipice of reality, invisible to the naked eye. Eventually, their incredible speed faltered and came to a halt, giving them a splendid view of a verdant land, bathed in a glorious sunrise.

"So where are we?" Landia asked, inspecting the land carefully.

"The land of Trodian," Empyrea said, admiring the scenery with a respectful gaze. "This place was once under siege by a terrible curse, however, the adventurer we've come to enlist put an end to it some time ago. Since then..." Empyrea chuckled to herself, "He's made quite the name for himself, that boy."

Empyrea swooped down and let the wind take her towards the castle far off in the distance, Landia not far behind. While it was distant, the castle exuded a wave of everlasting pride than even the uncaring dragon somewhat respected. A bout of awkward silence fell between the two as they traveled, however, the question of who exactly the Godbird was speaking of. If he was so essential to defeating Shatterhand, Landia thought, why the mystery?