How Far Would You Go?

To be honest, I had trouble figuring out a title for this chapter. I had one idea, but I feel like it might be a better name for the next chapter. This title came from a song, like many chapter titles I do. For this one, it's the same name, by a singer named 'Aurea'. This isn't an ad, I just legit like this song, it's good. Anyways, I will admit this a bit of a messy chapter, but it's waited long enough. Enjoy!
-Jooost

Shattering the Stars
Chapter 26: How Far Would You Go?

The dreadnaught floated aimlessly through the vast, empty void of space, as by the orders of its supreme commander. None of the soldiers, lieutenants, even the captain, had a clue as to why he had decided to keep himself and the ship in the shadows. A random realm, drifting with not a single planet nearby, absolutely nothing. A miasma of mystery breathed through the halls.

A pair of boots clanked against the dense steel of the floor, trotting down the corridor leading towards the reserved quarters at the very top of the ship. The captain, without any fear striking his heart, had become greatly displeased with his superior. There hadn't been any news, any new plans, in hours. Such silence was thought to be impossible for the tactician that was Shatterhand. While never normally uptight, the captain had gained new confidence in his own abilities, and deeply wished to show those pests what true strength was.

"Sir!" The captain pounded on the door to Shatterhand's private residence, an authority similar to an angered father in his voice.

Without any answer, the door slid open with a hiss, the light from the hall flooding in and bleeding along the neatly cared-for carpet of the room. A light mist poured out of the doorway and slinked along the cold floor.

"Enter..." Shatterhand's voice appeared, yet the man himself was nowhere to be seen from where the captain stood. Without any resistance, the captain picked up his foot and took his first step inside. The voice came once again, "Interesting, wiser men would've turned and closed their eyes..."

"I'm not the wisest man here, sir," said the captain, his pace assured. He stopped right in the middle of the room, the door whirring shut and bathing the area in darkness once more. Crossing his arms, "Although, I am starting to question your authority."

"Bold words. Do you have a death wish, my friend?"

"I only intend to die on your command, sir," the captain spoke meaningly, "My faith in you is unwavering, although I along with others wonder what exactly our plan is. We have been without your direction for nearly a day."

Without warning, a thud from behind the captain accompanied by the deep huff of damp breath meant that Shatterhand had descended from somewhere above to speak face to face. A tinge of fear shot down the captain's spine, but when the commander spoke, he was soothed like vanilla.

"You know how I live my life, is that correct?" Shatterhand asked, placing his good hand on his companion's shoulder, speaking breathily.

"Of course, you cut through life like a knife, living on the edge. I'd say it's your defining trait, sir."

"But it wasn't always like that, have I told you that?" Shatterhand, running his fingers around the captain's back, walked slowly around him, smiling. "After I was freed from that desolate prison, when I worked at the lab I used to speak of, I gambled with others."

"I never thought you the type," the captain raised an eyebrow. Money was superfluous to Shatterhand. For as long as the two had known each other, savings, expenses, all that matter was of no worry to them.

"Neither did I until I won my first game," Shatterhand explained smugly, "When a friend told me to, 'Spend the money quickly.' I recognized it as a threat, yet my mind was unfazed. That rush from winning empowered me, and I went on to begin funding for this very ship. That was where I evolved to live down to the wire." Shatterhand, without eyeing the captain, caressed his cheek playfully. They both suppressed their urge to smirk, but the tension between them had all melted away.