Modern Crusaders

Oh yeah, it's all coming together. All of our main characters in one chapter! Enjoy!
-Jooostan

Shattering the Stars
Chapter 22: Modern Crusaders

"Empyrea?"

"Yes?"

"What's all that wrapped around you, hm? Those... Those plants? With the thorns?"

"These? They are my passion."

"Really?"

"Of course. You have your own passion, you know."

"I do?"

"Certainly. All the righteous do..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shatterhand scowled as he paced around the bridge to his dreadnaught. The guards had never seen him this... troubled. Not angry, just troubled. After the unexpected experience just an hour before, the red-haired leader didn't quite know what to make of it, nor did his second in command.

"Do you think he's gonna snap?" whispered one of the men by the main door, leaning over to his colleague. His words were jittery and stunted a bit, clearly on edge about what might happen.

"I don't know..." The other man was a little more composed, although both wore unsure complexions as the Captain entered, the door behind them opening with a loud hiss.

"We've gotten a scan of the intruder's resonance before he vanished," said the Captain, looking at the holographic screen that materialized from his forearm, "It seems that he wasn't quite physically present," he explained with a sneer, "Instead, he was tapping into some 'third eye', at least that's what the boys down in research suppose."

Shatterhand kept facing the window, staring at the surface of planet Pop Star. For a second, the gauntlet along his left hand clicked, as if he was about to use it to attack, but he only flicked a finger, second guessing before he could act. The guards let go of their breath, not even realizing they were holding it until now. All Shatterhand did was look to his left, then right, contemplating something in his head.

"There is going to be a change in plans, my friend," Shatterhand said slowly, turning around. The Captain didn't show any signs of fear when looking his superior in the eye, much to Shatterhand's pleasure. "We are going on the hunt now."

"Very well, sir, where to first?" asked the Captain, the hologram along his arm disappearing. He walked up and stood beside his leader, also looking out onto the surface below. Onto Dream Land.

"The realm we picked up on when those little pests escaped us back at the Mushroom Kingdom, it was designated 'ADS-2017', correct?"

"That is correct, sir."

"There. That will be a good place to start. I suspect the group has moved on by now, off to another realm. We shall scan everywhere for clues, any traces of my Ultra Sword and its energy signature," Shatterhand glanced at one of the many pilots below and off to the side, and they worked accordingly to his words. Gradually, the sight of Pop Star left their view, outer space facing them. Then, they were off.

For a moment, only the sounds of mechanical whirring, hums, and the clacking of keys on various keyboards filled the air. The dreadnaught tore open a portal and drifted through, heading to a new realm. The stars along the murky, black backdrop of the cosmos seemed to liquify, an effect of dimensional travel, the ship moving so fast it made light bend and smear.

Now, on the other side of the window, that familiar color show was illuminating everything. It was pleasantly quiet for a while until the Captain grew confident enough to ask something that had been on his mind for some time.