Chapter 1: Aurora Knight Benson

Summer has finally arrived. I just graduated from high school and decided to take a year off before college. My parents weren't 100% on board with my decision, but eventually gave in. I decided to spend the summer at Mystic Lake. I have the house all to myself. Normally teenagers go to the beach for summer, I prefer the lake. Even though getting in is a no because I happen to have thalassophobia.

"Alright, don't burn the house." Mom said as she entered the kitchen.

"I would never." I feigned being hurt.

"Who set the microwave on fire?" Dad asked.

"Melody." I sighed. "But I took the blame cause I'm a good big sis."

"I resent that." Melody rolled her eyes. "You left the plate with tin foil for more than ten minutes."

"So it happened one time. Besides, I don't like microwaves. I prefer air fryer and the stove." I grinned at them.

"We'll be back a week before summer ends." Dad told me. "No, boys are allowed here."

I groaned. "Dad, come on, I like girls."

"Yeah, that lie doesn't work anymore." He gave me a hug as I chuckled.

"But if she has a boy, then she can give me a nephew or niece!"

"Not happening." Mom said. "By the way, Miles is visiting his parents next week, so he will pop here."

"Okay, is Alan coming too?"

"Nah, he's busy with football." Melody added. "Mr. Popular is too cool to be seen with his family." She rolled her eyes.

I chuckled. While those two aren't related, Alan and Mel get along like siblings. So they fight, make up, and then fight again. But he does take care of her. I told him to look out for her since I was graduating.

"Alan is just caught up being the captain." I added. "Anyway, I'll visit my grandparents tomorrow."

"Oh mon diu." Our ten year old brother, Alexander, said as he entered the kitchen. "The lake is so cool." He's a mini version of dad.

"That it is. We'll come soon. Now let's go before it gets dark." Dad said.

They gave me a group hug and then left. Now, to put the groceries in their place and go explore the lake.

...................

I went to check out the town, and now I know why Grandpa decided to come live here. This place is so magical and peaceful.

"Aurora knight, ughh why are you here?" I turned to see Mia.

I screamed, she screamed and then we hugged each other.

"Oh my God, Mia!"

Mia Westbrook. We used to play everytime time I came here when I was a kid. We haven't seen each other since we were 14.

"It's so good to finally see you. And guess what, after summer ends, we're moving back to New York."

"That's amazing news." I smiled. "So where are you heading to?"

"My brother's place." She replied.

"Oh yeah, I forgot you have a brother."

She chuckekd. "Well, since you never met him cause he was either at college or traveling. But he's actually here for a month. We should hang outgout."

"I'd like that."

We exchanged numbers and then she went to her brother's place. I went to my grandparents' place.

"My beautiful girl." My grandma said.

"Hey grandma." I hugged her.

It's crazy to think she didn't like me and mistreated my mom because she used to be overweight. My mom never told me. She kept a journal, and I was curious as to what that beautiful book was. It was her personal journal, and in there, I read everything she went through. I wanted to hate my grandma and dad, but those people mom described were not the people I grew up with. They've changed, and I believe in second chances. If mom could forgive them, then so could I.

"My little princess." Grandpa hugged me.

"Hey, Grandpa." I hugged him back.

Grandpa is one of my favorite people. He used to play tea party and dressed up with me.

"I came a day earlier." Dad said as he entered the house.

"Hey, dad."

"Hey, sweetheart." He pulled me into a hug.

He hugged Grandma and Grandpa and told them he was staying with them until morning. I stayed with them till dinner and then I drove back to the house. I have a feeling this summer is going to be amazing.

A/N: Chapters will get longer. This was just an introduction.