Chapter 12: Summer Is Over

Last day of the summer. Time sure flew by so fast. My family arrived a few hours ago. I had to put a fake smile. But mom knew me better than anyone. She pulled me aside while the others were in the living room talking.

"No fake smiles, what's wrong?"

I couldn't hold the tears anymore. "Mom, I did something horrible."

She pulled me to her and soothed my back to calm me. "What happened?"

I told her about Damiano. Well, not the part where he's twenty-eight. I told her he was twenty. And then how I wanted to trap him to stay with me forever. 

"Aurora," She sighed. "Why would you do something like that? You're only eighteen. You got a lot of time to fall in love again. Damiano might've been in your life, but that doesn't mean he will stay forever. Some people are just passengers. What are you going to do if you end up pregnant?"

"Damiano was everything to me, mom. I've never felt this way before. But don't worry, I'm not pregnant."

"From what you told me, you still have to wait in order to know for sure." She lightly pinched my cheeks. "Kids are precious, and they're also a lot of work."

Well, I didn't need to add that to my worries.  I thought I was in the clear. "Trust me, mom, I know it will come negative."

"Well, until that happens, let's keep this conversation a secret. If Pierre and Miles know about this, they will kill the poor guy. And then be extremely mad at you for being irresponsible."

"It was irresponsible of my part." I sighed. "Just hold me and tell me everything is going to be okay even if it isn't."

"My sweet baby girl." She hugged me.

"Let's go for a swim!" Alexander screamed. 

"I agree. Let's go, people." Melody added.

I chuckled. I could actually use the distraction.

"So, what have you thought about your future?" Dad asked.

"I want to become a fashion designer. I want to design clothes for all types of body. What do you think?"

"Makes me proud that my daughter wants to pursue her dream." He hugged me.

..................

And as I told mom, the test came negative. I'm in the clear. As for Mia, she's living here in New York and is currently at her university. She's studying to become a veterinarian. Roman left the country and left a very heartbroken Mia. I'm not sure what happened between them, and I didn't push Mia to tell me. She'll tell me when the time feels right for her.

"I'm here, I know you missed me." Alan hugged me.

I chuckled. "Just a little."

"How are you?"

"Who told you?"

"Melody accidentally let it slip that you had a boyfriend."

I rolled my eyes. "That girl can't keep a secret. And he was never my boyfriend. He doesn't do a relationship, but I could've swore it felt like one, but it was just one-sided." I sighed.

"Then he's not the one. You are a great person. Kindest if I may say so. You'll meet someone new." He smiled.

"Thanks, Alan. I needed to hear that." I smiled back. "How's high school treating you?"

"Amazing, captain of the football team, I have a girlfriend."

I gave him a look. "Please tell is not the captain of the cheerleader. That girl is just trouble."

He laughed. "No, her name is Violet. She's shy and so beautiful. Took me like six months to get her to agree to go on a date with me. And bow it's been four months since our date and  I'm very happy with her."

"That's good. Treat her well and don't break her heart. Trust me, those suck."

"Oh, Alan!" Melody screamed. "You giant jerk."

"What happened?" I asked.

"He took the last cupcake from the cafeteria. I'm on my days, and I wanted something sweet!"

I chuckled. Like dad and Alexander always say. Oh, Mon Dieu. These two are always fighting over the tiniest things. It never gets boring around here.

"Fine, come on. Aunt Imogen's bakery is still open. Call the others to meet us there." He groaned.

"Yay, you're the best." She grinned. As she took her phone out. "Eric, Luna, get your asses outside now. We're going to mom's bakery."

"Are you coming?" Alan asked me.

"No, you guys go ahead. But bring me a chocolate muffin and an oreo cheesecake, please."

"You got it, sis." They both said at the same time.

I smiled at them. Alexander came running from the kitchen and told them to wait for him. I laughed. I love my crazy family.

.................

I was on the porch relaxing while eating my oreo cheesecake when a black car parked outside. I smiled when I saw who it was.

"Bestie!" She said as she came running towards me.

"Mia, how are you?" I hugged her.

"I'm getting better. Being in college certainly helps a lot. I'm still heartbroken, but I'll get over him in time."

"Yeah, I'm still nursing mine." I said as I played with my fork.

"Dating older man is exhausting." She huffed.

I chuckled. "I wouldn't say that, more like they are in that age where they know what they want. And what we want is different because it's true, we're still eighteen, and we have so many things to live before settling down."

"That's true. But I still want you for my brother. I'll make sure if he ever gets a girl to make her life impossible." 

I laughed. "Mia, you're something else. Thanks for visiting me. I needed your company."

"Of course. Call me anytime, and I'll come. You can also visit me." She smiled.

"Will do."

We talked about everything and nothing. She still hasn't told me what went down with her and Roman. Why did he leave the country. There are so many questions and zero answers.