CHAPTER 8: PRESENT DAY

Ring. Ring. Ring. I checked my phone and saw on the screen that Dr. Walter's number. I closed my eyes, sighed and answer the call.

"Hi doctor!" I greeted.

"Hi, Addie! Where are you?" he asked coolly. I looked at my watch and realized that I am a little late.

"Still here in the nurses' station doctor...I'm sorry. Can you give me like 10-20 minutes? I'll just finish the order..." I said while writing some orders.

"Addie, you're really a workaholic person. Hurry up. The meeting has started already..." he said.

"Yes, coming..." I said. He hung up. I finished the order.

"Inform me of the results ASAP," I told the nurse on duty. I walked pace by pace along the hallway towards the elevator. Sometimes, if you are in a hurry and the elevator can't really cooperate. I went around to the fire exit and hit the stairs. I'm running downstairs. It's difficult to run when you're on heels. This meeting sucks. I don't really care who's the new doctor or whatever his specialty. I can simply read that in the monthly hospital magazine.

I reached 5th floor. I headed to the executive offices. The guard said hi and I just quickly gave him a nod. I walked along the halls and I can hear my heels as I walk. Tak. Tak. Tak. I saw Dr. Walter's office. I really hate going in there. It's not that I don't like him. It's just that I don't like admin work. It's tiring. I'd rather spend my time with my patients. I knocked on the wooden door. I opened it. I saw Mina, the secretary, she's sitting in front of her computer doing all the paper works.

"Hi!" she said. She stood up to give me a quick kiss on the cheeks.

"Hi Mina," I said.

"They started," she said and she led the way to the meeting room. I composed myself. Mina knocked and excused ourselves. I saw Dr. Walter smile. I smile too. I am a little embarrassed because I'm late. I saw the executives of medical board. I can't really say no to Dr. Walter since he's the medical director of the hospital and head of Surgery department. He excused himself and stood up when he saw me. He walked me through the room and introduced me to the board. I think they already know me since I've been attending meetings and conferences for the past 6 years. Oh! I didn't notice that there were new doctors. Yeah. Maybe they are what Dr. Walter is talking about.

"Excuse me for the interruption colleagues," Dr. Walter began. He put his hand over my shoulders and tapped it.

"This is Dr. Madeline Ross..." he introduced. I gave everyone a professional smile.

"She is our youngest neurosurgeon. She topped the board exam for doctors and specialized in neurosurgery. She's the most sought after doctor in the country and we are very lucky to have her," he bragged. Now I am so embarrassed. I can see nods and smiles.

"Dr. Walter, that's too much," I said. He laughed. He's like a one proud father to her daughter.

"I'm looking forward to be working with you guys soon," I said. They clapped and I took my seat beside Dr. Walter. He introduced the newly hired residents and interns. We discussed about the residency programs and what are the expectations.

It's about 12 noon. The meeting is about to end when someone came and appeared at the doorway. Because he made an "entrance", everybody looked that way. He's wearing a pair of ragged jeans and a pair of black converse shoes. He's wearing a black polo with sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His beard looks freshly shaved. He's tall. His hair is a little messy with bangs. He's wearing a black framed pair of eye glasses. He entered the room like a gate crasher. Dr. Walter stood up and approach him. He smiled at him and gave him a handshake. "Welcome," he said.