CHAPTER 14: SMILE AND FLUSHED (HIM)

I wanted to leap for joy when she said yes despite the anger on her face. I followed them towards the recovery room viewing area. She is really walking fast. I wanted to catch her so that I can talk with her but I doubt. She is a stubborn person. She will ignore and ignore you anytime she wants.

During Isabel's birthday, I was surprised that Dr. Walter invited me over for dinner. How I can I say no to the chief? I thought it'll be a huge formal party but I was surprised when I arrived. I was the only visitor. I thought I came a little too early. Dr. Walter offered a glass of wine and I gladly accepted it. We stood by the porch, viewing his garden.

"You know what Dr. Mitchell...you are one of the most commended and appreciated doctors even if you're still new," he said.

"Thanks doctor," I said. The conversation went on to the topic of commendations, projects and the like. Moments later, the air became quiet. I guess we ran out of topics for discussion. He cleared his throat.

"You like Addie, don't you?" he suddenly blurted out. I was surprised. I laughed but he didn't.

"You see Dr. Mitchell, Addie is a special girl. I believe you don't want to mess up with her feelings," he warned.

"Sir, with all due respect...the first time I saw her from the meeting room, I liked her already. She continues to amaze me every single moment that I will see her," I said as I look beyond the garden.

"Even if she's stubborn?"

"Yes...even if she's stubborn and rude...sometimes arrogant...I still can feel that there's something...there's a reason behind those negative attitude...would you believe that when I saw her smile and laugh on that helipad, my heart just melt away...she's really wonderful," I finished.

Dr. Walter laughed. "Yes she is a wonderful person. She's been through a lot of problems, trials and heartache and I can't blame her why she's like that...she's been alone all her life," he said. I suddenly felt sad for her.

"She lost her parents at a young age. The only family she knew is her best friend's family. She lost her best friend who happens to be the man she only loved. She struggled so hard to be the best doctor just like when she used to be a nurse back then," he said.

"Very strong-willed woman," I commented.

"Yes she is," he replied.

"Dr. Walter, I like her. Really like her. But it's just that I don't know how to win her. She's very difficult," I said sadly.

He laughed. "That's up to you how you will figure that out. I know. I can tell that you like her. Your eyes can't deny that," he said.

A little later, the doorbell rang. Tommy, Dr. Walter's son, ran across the hallway. Isabel followed him. He gently turned the knob and opened the door.

"Aunt 'di!" Tommy called out. I can hear a familiar voice but I don't know why the voice seems to be happy. I wanted to look who just came but Dr. Walter said it's Addie. How come? It's a happy voice. We talked about work. I can hear the sound of heels on the wooden floor. When she walked across the room with Isabel, I was almost speechless. She looks beautiful in that blue dress. She avoided my gaze. Of course, she's Dr. Ross, if you know what I mean. I saw her went to the kitchen to help Isabel. I tried to steal a glance as I saw Tommy tugged her dress. She knelt down and she talked to Tommy in the softest and gentle way. Then she smiled. Damn. Since that day from the helipad, I always wanted to see her smile and tonight she just did.

"Distracted," teased Dr. Walter. I looked at him. Crap. It's humiliating. In front of the chief.

"I'm sorry sir, I just can't help it," I defended.