CHAPTER 13: SAVE ME

Dr. Walter rushed into the ER together with the paramedic. The ER doctors were on standby. I can hear Isabel crying out load while Dr. Walter held her in his arms. I haven't seen Dr. Walter so terrified. He's one of the doctors that I admire the most. Dr. Mitchell and I were standing next to the ER doctors for the interview. While answering for the interview, I suddenly realized something. It's one of the scenes and hideous memory that I always try to forget. It's like the night I lost Drake. It's also like this---me bringing him to the hospital after an incident and answering to the interviews of the doctor.

"Do a stat MRI," I ordered immediately. Dr. Mitchell looked at me.

"You're not in the position Dr. Ross," he said. I looked at him.

"There will always be a referral for a neuro consult doctor, and I am just doing my part," I said stubbornly.

"But you are not referred..." he said.

"Yes I am. I am the first on call doctor tonight. Check your schedule," I said. His jaw just drop. They started an IV line and went for an immediate MRI. We went to the MRI center. I began to look at Tommy's shots from the MRI.

I zoomed it in and tried to analyze. I looked at Dr. Mitchell as if he's reading my thoughts. Then to Tommy's parents.

"Addie, what is it?" Dr. Walter asked. I can hear his voice trembling, as if at any given moment, his tears will just flow like something.

"It's AV malformation," Dr. Mitchell said and for the first time he was able to read my thoughts. Dr. Walter looked at me. I gave him a nod.

"We need to do an immediate surgery for Tommy. We need to do a resection, doctor..." I explained. Isabel looked at me. Her eyes full of tears and pain.

"Please Addie, save my son..." she plead. I looked at Dr. Mitchell. For the first time, I looked at him like I needed his support too.

"Please...do everything that you can..." said Dr. Walter, his eyes were teary too.

"We can't promise but we will do everything...for Tommy," said Dr. Mitchell as he turn his attention to me. I just gave them a polite nod.

Moments later, Tommy was transferred to OR theatre. Dr. Walter sat on the OR theatre viewing deck together with his wife. I began scrubbing my hands. Dr. Mitchell stood beside me, scrubbing also.

"Are you ok, Dr. Ross?" he asked. I said yes without looking at him.

I entered the sterile field. Gown was served. Gloves were offered. Anesthesiologist, nurses and doctors are all in place. I looked at the Dr. Walter, who is sitting from the balcony. I looked at the team. I took a deep breath and said, "Let's begin."

"First knife..." I began. The nurse passed on the scalpel and we began Tommy's surgery. Dr. Mitchell is beside me. I need to do this. I need to save Tommy. I carefully opened his scalp then a part of his skull. I carefully tried to do the procedure.

"It's clotted already," I murmured.

"Yes it is," replied Dr. Mitchell. I didn't mind him. I continued with the operation. I successfully removed the clot. Suddenly, blood began to squirt from the clotted area. It almost hit my eyes.

"Gauze!" I called out. It started to get crazy busy.

"Doctor, BP is dropping!" called out the nurse.

I looked at Dr. Mitchell. He's looking at me. "Let's do a resection, Dr. Ross," he said. I agreed with him and we started to do the resection. He carefully began the very delicate procedure. Now I am the one assisting him.

Hours passed. He's sweating and I can't just touch his sweat. If he's sweating, it might fell on Tommy's brain. If the sweat falls on to Tommy's operation site, infection will arise.

"Mitchell," I said. I offered my shoulders so that he can wipe his sweat off. He put his head on my shoulders and he gently rubbed his temporal and forehead onto my shoulders.

"Thanks," he said. I just went back on assisting him.

Another hour has passed. He began to stitch up. He carefully did all the stitching.

"You want me to close it?" I asked.

"Sure," he said. He gave me the floor. I began closing up.

A few minutes later, the operation was a success. I looked at the balcony, to Tommy's mom and dad. They are waving. I pointed to meet us outside the theatre. When the procedure was all finished, I went out of the theatre to talk with Dr. Walter.

I held my mask in my hand. When I opened the door, they are standing in front of the door. I smiled as happy as I am. Isabel throw her arms around me.

"Thank you, Addie!" she whispered, sobbing.

"Don't thank me, thanked Dr. Mitchell," I said. She slowly let go of me.

"He saved Tommy," I said.

The door behind me opened. I looked around and saw Dr. Mitchell removing his cap and mask.

"Congratulations, the operation was a success," he said to them. Dr. Walter offered a hand shake and grabbed him to give him a warm hug.

"Thank you Mitchell," he said. When he let go, he wiped his tears.

"Don't mention it," he said. He smiled at me. And for the first time, I gave him a smile. The most genuine smile I ever gave to anyone.

"Let's go to the recovery room and meet Tommy," I said. His parents went ahead. We followed them. Dr. Mitchell walked with me.

"Thanks back there," I said.

"It's our job," he said while looking at Tommy's parents. I felt his hand brushed against mine. My heart began to beat a little faster than usual.

"Are you free tonight Dr. Ross?" he asked coolly. I stopped and looked at him. He looked back and smiled.

"Just because you save Tommy's life, that doesn't mean you can just ask me out," I said stubbornly. He laughed. I felt my ears hot.

"I am not asking you out...you are assuming," he said. I rolled my eyes and stomped my foot and walked fast.

"Alright!" he called out. Dr. Walter and Isabel looked around. I stopped.

"Yes Dr. Madeline Ross...I am asking you out...for a date," he said out loud. Loud enough for everybody in the hallway to hear. I felt my face flushed in public. Everybody's looking at us. Now every face I see is smiling and giggling. Dr. Walter and Isabel were smiling. And Isabel's face is giving me the I-told-you-he-likes-you look. It's crazy. I turned around and walked towards him.

"Are you making fun of me? Because I don't have any time for games Dr. Mitchell," I said.

"I am not," he said honestly.

I tried to glare at him but he looked back at me so cool and he's not terrified or afraid.

"Ok, just tonight." I said and I walk back towards Tommy's parents. I heard him exclaimed, "YES!"

---000---