Chapter 18

CONRAD POV

"Wow." she said quietly. I couldn't make out what she was feeling, I just knew that her expression changed, but to what I had no idea. "You know," she began, "Jeremiah tried to make me do whatever he wanted. Always telling me what to do, and I never saw it, I guess, because I was in love with him." She stopped talking for what felt like an eternity, but in reality it problaby were 10 seconds.

"And I cannot believe that you're trying to do the same thing by telling me not go back to him." She finished.

"You know damn well that that is not what's going on. I held you while you were crying on the bitch talking about all the stupid things he did, and most importantly, all the stupid things he did not do!" I breathed in and out to calm myself down. "I overheard him, he's my brother yes, I love him, but he's not a good man for you."

"Well, that's my decision, isnt it?"

She walked back into the house and I followed her. "What did you overhear?" she asked, avoiding eye contact.

I swallowed, because was what I heard even worth the reaction I'm having? Probably not. "Before we went swimming, when u went to grab your things he called you a prude. And right before he talked to you outside I asked him why he wants to make things right with you and he should've thought about before he dumped.. I mean, broke up with you over text and he said he just doesnt want it to be awkward when he's bringing girls around and you're here."

She turned to look at me and I could see that she was holding back tears. She kept saying she was over him, but it's obvious that she's lying. It's been four weeks, and now seeing him probaly upsets her. "Look," I said, "Maybe it's better if you dont hang around here for a bit? You know, seeing my brother might not help you getting over him."

"Yes." She said quickly, "exactly what I was thinking."