Episode - 14

Azka stood frozen outside the Sheikh Mansion, her mind racing back to a memory from her past. She recalled her mother's final moments, when Amreen was just 10 years old. Nawazuddin Sheikh had been waiting at the door, seeking permission to enter.

Azka had said, "Ammi, Mamu is here. Please let him in. He wants to see you."

But her mother had refused, "No! Tell your uncle to leave. We don't want to see him."

Nawazuddin had pleaded, "Guriya, don't say that. Give us a chance to apologize for our mistakes. Please."

Azka's mother had replied, "We've forgiven you, but we don't want to see you. Leave us alone. You abandoned us, so why have you come back now? Is it to see your sister die?"

Nawazuddin pleaded, "No, no, it's not like that. Forgive me, please forgive me."

But Azka's mother's words cut deep, "You, who claimed to be a righteous husband, abandoned your sister for speaking the truth about your wife's mistakes. You prioritize your wife's feelings over your sister's well-being. I'm not saying you did wrong, you shouldn't have prioritised your wife but what about your sister? What about me brother? I was the ones who stood up for your wife when our mother scolded her, even when she misbehaved with our parents, I was there to make things right between them, and how can you forget that I was the only ones who saved your marriage from ending into divorce. I saved your home, your marriage, but you still had the audacity to throw your own sister out of her own father's house. That house was not even yours but still you threw me out. If our father was alive that day, he would have never allowed you to do such a thing. But after our parents passed away, I became an orphan, and despite having two brothers, no one raised a voice for me, for my shake."

Nawazuddin's eyes welled up with tears as he begged for forgiveness, "I know, I know I made a grave mistake. Forgive me, I was wrong."

But Azka's mother's response was laced with pain and anger, "Forgiveness?! I never asked anything from you, did I? No, never. I did what you and your wife told me to do. They say a brother is like a father, but after our father passed away, you didn't take responsibility for me. I never complained, never asked for anything, hoping that my brothers would stand up for my rights. But instead, one brother threw me out of my father's house, and the other didn't even bother to look back. Is this what brothers are for? Why are daughters, mothers, and sisters always taught about their duties, but sons and brothers are never taught about their responsibilities and rights? Why do we always have to suffer? Are we not human? Can anyone trample our hearts and expect us to forget everything and welcome them with open arms? Since the day you abandoned us, I never received respect in my in-laws' house. Thank God my husband was kind and never left me alone, otherwise, only God knows what would have happened to me after that. I just want to say this to you: leave now and please, don't come back. I have forgiven you and your wife, and I'll pray to Allah that your children and grandchildren never become like you, they should know how to stand up for their sisters' rights and fight for justice. That's my only prayer. Now leave and don't come back."

As she finished speaking, tears streamed down her face, and Nawazuddin's eyes remained filled with tears, his expression a mix of regret and sorrow.

Nawazuddin's voice was laced with remorse as he spoke, "I know we did what I shouldn't have, and we were forced into it because of my own mistakes. If only I had made the right decision that day, I wouldn't be guilty of wronging my sister today. I can't change the past, but I promise that if I ever get the chance, I will fulfill my duties as a brother and make amends for my mistakes. I will atone for my wrongdoing. I just hope that Allah gives me the chance to make things right before I die, so I can face you on Judgment Day with my head held high. Take care of yourself, and please forgive both of your brothers from the bottom of your heart. Forgive us, not for our sake, for the relationship we have. May Allah protect you."