// 34

"I love you," I whispered in his ear before he sat my feet back on the ground. I felt him exhale as he lowered me to face him in the Oakland airport.

His face looked down at me with smoldering green eyes and the slightest beginning of his trademark, bright white grin. Talyn said "I love you, too, pretty girl."

The plane touched down and I jerked myself awake. Slightly confused for a split second as to where I was, I quickly shook the traitorous dream from my mind and reached for my phone in the seat back pocket in front of me. It took me a second to figure out how to turn it back on; I had been out cold. My phone finally picked up a signal halfway to the baggage claim, and it vibrated in my pocket.

'See you at Christmas, SF' Talyn had sent just after walking me to security. I smiled sadly to myself. I didn't want to think about anything Jason had said on Thursday night, or anything that had happened—as inconsequential as it had all been—on Friday, or even anything that might happen once those NCAA violations rulings were handed down in January. What a mess.

In the shower this morning, I'd resolved not to think about any of this until Barton left in February. After all, it was only fair. I only had a short while left with him, considering Christmas break was right in the middle of now and then, and I wanted to be...present, while he was still around. So, for now, I buried the rest as deep as it would go.

It didn't matter though. As soon as I caught sight of Barton Black at the bottom of the escalator from the terminal, everything else fell away, and there was only him.

I saw him first. He was concentrating very hard on his shoes, it seemed. I wasn't more than ten feet from him when he finally looked up and saw me. He smiled happily, and bit his lower lip, but remained in place, watching me approach.

"Hi," I said, almost shyly. Having not seen him for days, it was almost difficult to believe this unbelievably attractive man was here to pick me up. Surely there was some model around someplace.

He pulled me into his arms, and I melted into his chest. He cradled me there, stroking my hair as he kissed the top of my head. "You're back."

I pulled away and looked up at him, frowning. "Did you think I wouldn't be?"

He smirked, still holding me to his body. "I missed you."

I grinned. "I missed you, too."

Neither of us moved for a moment. I was lost in his silvery eyes.

"Are you gonna kiss me or not?" he asked in a rather seductive tone.

I didn't have to think twice. I stood on my toes and pressed my lips to his. He kissed me, slow and soft, and by the time he pulled away my head was nearly spinning.

"Hi," he breathed, now holding my face between his hands.

I simply exhaled, trying to get my bearings back.

Barton laughed lightly, reaching down for my hand as we turned for the baggage claim. "How was home?"

I smiled, enjoying having his hand in mine again. "It was good. With the exception of having to corral Talyn's drunk ass on Thursday night, it was a very relaxing trip."

Barton chuckled, then checked his watch as we walked. "The Cal game's about to start, do you want to go over to the Lair and watch?"

I shrugged. "Whatever. So long as I'm with you."

He sighed loudly and dropped my hand. I stopped walking and looked at him, wondering what I'd done wrong. Barton was grinning widely again, though, and reached out to pull me into him again. We started walking again, this time with our arms around each other.