// 123

"They won't bite," I told her. I hesitated just before walking into Chase and Travis's house after a glance over my shoulder found Micki looking nervous and unsure.

While Micki's reaction to Alex's absence was a complete reversal of the last time he'd left on tour, it had seemed to me that she was a little bored. No boyfriend and cheerleading only two or three times a week (as opposed to every day last year) had left her a lot of free time, so rather than leave her behind on Thursday night, I made her come with me to have dinner with my boys.

"I know, but..." Micki dropped her eyes and wrung her hands.

"They're like my brothers," I explained. "The Chase we met last year at the bar doesn't exist anymore, I promise."

Just then, the door opened behind me, and Chase stuck his head out. "You two coming in, or are we having dinner on the front porch tonight?"

"Oh, right, I'm just trying to convince Micki that you're not gonna be a total douchebag this time," I explained. "Obviously, this isn't a ten second conversation."

Chase rolled his eyes at me. "Hi, Micki."

"Hey," she answered from the bottom step.

"Listen, I'm really sorry I left you with a bad first impression. I was an arrogant jerk, with no concept of respect or social boundaries. Can we start over?"

Micki walked up the stairs to join us. Tilting her nose upward, she took a deep breath. "Oh my God, what is that?"

Chase pushed the door open wider as she walked inside.

"Chicken in garlic cream sauce," Travis answered, tending to something on the stove. "And bruschetta. Oh, and brussels sprouts," he added.

"Oh my God," Micki moaned again, heading for a seat at the kitchen bar. "Yeah, Fallen, fresh start. I'm in."

Chase looked at me and laughed.

"She's like a man," I shrugged. "The way to heart is through her stomach, I guess."

It was easy, after that. Micki and Travis talked non-stop as he finished cooking, then served dinner. Chase and I cleaned up, and soon we were all in the living room, sprawled out on the furniture.

ESPN was on in the background. The Thursday game was already over, and previews of Saturday's match-ups had taken its place. None of us were really paying attention.

"So'd SF tell you her big news?" Micki sighed from the oversized chair where she was laying with her legs over the arm.

I laughed softly. She only called me 'SF' once in a blue moon. And Travis and Chase had no idea about my script, or that I was related to the man who'd written the book from which it had been adapted.

"What big news?" Chase asked.

"I'm going to LA this weekend," I told him, skirting the issue for a moment. "Actually, we both are."

Micki chuckled to herself, obviously too tired to beat the rest out of me.

"For the game?" Travis asked.

"Yeah, we'll be there...if you guys get us tickets," I proceeded cautiously.

"Oh my—Sawyer, of course we can do that," Chase assured me. "You need a hotel, too? I might be able to—"

"I'm pretty sure we're OK for a room," I stopped him. "Tickets are more than enough."

"Yeah, Sawyer's gonna be so loaded by Saturday night, she should be paying for your room," Micki laughed, knowing she was forcing the story out of me.