// 71

I was still staring at the walls when we heard someone walk in through the front door. The sound was both familiar and horrifying—only one person walked into our house like they lived here, too.

My dad frowned expectantly at me. I braced myself.

"Hey SF!" Talyn cheered, then noticed my dad on the floor inside the doorway as he poked his smiling face into my room. "Hey Kerry!"

"Nice to see you, Talyn," my dad smiled sideways as he pushed himself off the floor. "Sawyer, I'll be back in the office."

I sat up on my bed, one leg out to the side. My heart raced as my dad left the room. I had no idea what to say to him. The look on my face must've expressed that pretty well.

Talyn smirked, but it wasn't his usual I-know-I'm-a-badass-and-you-can't-help-but-love-me smirk. This one was shy, and unsure...and apologetic.

My phone vibrated on the bed next to me, but I ignored it. All I could do was stare at him. Maybe it was wishful thinking, but when he finally met my eyes again it seemed to me that he was willing me to act normal. He was doing exactly what I wanted him to do—act like nothing had happened, like nothing had changed. And if I knew him like I thought I did, the decision to pretend everything was as usual did not come at any small personal sacrifice.

Talyn suddenly straightened up and his usual grin was in place. "So. Harlan's, beer, darts, you...me...all day. What do you think?"

I cocked my head to the side and swallowed. I still didn't know what to make of this. Was I dreaming?

Talyn just stood there in the doorway, eyebrows raised in anticipation.

I frowned and shook my head quickly, jarring myself back to reality. Yep, he was still there. "Uh, yeah, sure," I stammered.

"Great, get dressed. I'll drive," he winked, turning for the hall. "First round's on you."

I almost laughed at the bizarre normalcy of it all. My phone vibrated again, reminding me I had an unread text message.

See you in slightly more than 48 hours! I cannot wait!

Barton Black. I tried to smile, climbing off my bed.

Me neither :) I love you. I typed back, wondering why my stomach was in knots when I hit send.

I slipped on my shoes, checked my reflection in the mirror and headed out to the living room.

One more time, my phone buzzed.

I love you, too, SF.

It was from Barton Black, of course, but it could've just as easily been from my best friend, who sat at my kitchen counter, waiting patiently for me to come around.