// 88

I don't know what I thought would happen. Turns out, it didn't matter. I didn't make it to the front door.

As I stood waiting in line to get in, I heard the same door from which Barton Black had originally walked into my life open. Having been staring at my feet, I looked up, almost involuntarily, as if he'd called my name.

He hadn't, but he was laughing, reaching up for a joint behind his ear, holding the door open for someone else.

My heart raced.

A tall blonde walked out onto the sidewalk next to him and they let the door fall back into place. She flicked a lighter for him while he got the joint started, casually waving to someone in line, on my side of the rope but 20 yards ahead of me, who'd called his name.

I tried to look away, but I was transfixed. He was real. And alive. And so close. I couldn't.

Barton took a long drag, and just before passing what was left to Blondie, who still had her back to me, he saw me.

His icy eyes seemed to catch fire, and he smirked.

Barton Black looked right through me. And as if he didn't know it would all but kill me, he reached out for Debbie Harry's clone, pulled her into him, and kissed her.

Just like he used to kiss me.

I quietly stepped out of line, and headed right back to the BART.