Chapter 4

Our first days in London consisted of finding our barings, unpacking, and attempting to get over our jet lag. My sleeping schedule was already messed up, making it so much more confusing than it needed to be. A day with two hours of sleep, though, slingshotted me right into falling back asleep at a reasonable time.

There was just one thing Hazel and I had yet to do, and that was explore London's nightlife. As a capital city, it was bound to be good. So, one Friday evening, we decided to put on our best version of a British 'going out' outfit. It was just the slightest bit more dressed up than I was used to for a casual night out, but I was ready to fully immerse myself.

Our destination was a popular club with a reputation for fantastic music and even better company. It was a little ways away from our apartment, but it was nothing a taxi couldn't handle. It was the kind of place that felt electric with energy, where the music consumed you, and the outside world faded into the background.

We ordered some drinks and found a little booth to start our night in, sitting across from each other. I was more than content watching others dance and mingle if it meant I could have a good old night out with my best friend. We sipped our drinks, catching up on the month we had missed each other in our lives. There was so much to tell her. From the weird things I got into with Jack and Alex, to the 'exploration' Jack and I had done. And of course what it was like experiencing the east coast on such a level.

Eventually, two guys approached us. One of them, a tall and lanky man with dishevelled hair, turned his attention to me. "Hey, mind if we join you ladies?"

Hazel and I shared a glance, communicating silently with each other. It ended with a shrug and a welcoming smile.

"Sure, why not?" I answered.

The two guys slipped into the seats next to us, bringing their own drinks with them.

"You don't sound from around here," the guy next to me, who had initiated the conversation, pointed out. "Where are you guys from?"

"Los Angeles!" I said, raising my voice over the music.

"Well, that's a little far, isn't it?"

I chuckled and introductions were made. I learned that the guy who had approached me was named Oliver. He had an easy charm and an accent that was just so... British. It was strangely captivating. Hazel, who fell into conversation with his friend, Max, seemed to agree. She was practically hanging off every word that came out of his mouth.

"So, what brings you to London?" Oliver asked me directly.

"Work," I responded with a smile. "Hazel's a chemical engineer, and I do music."

His eyes lit up. "Music, huh? What's that entail?"

"I dabble in songwriting and producing."

"Really, you any good?"

I laughed and brought my drink to my lips, taking a sip. "There's always room to improve."

"I'm intrigued now." Oliver leaned in just a little closer.

The conversation flowed effortlessly as we delved some more into the broad topic of music. We discussed our favourite artists, the local music scene, and just the tiniest bit about some of the projects I'd done. Oliver was a genuinely engaging conversationalist, and I found myself enjoying our interaction.

"You know, you're an interesting person," he smirked as he spoke in a lower intimate tone. "I'm glad we met tonight."

I couldn't deny that we had some kind of connection, but we had such different intentions. So, I took a deep breath and softened my voice. "Look, Oliver, I've got something I need to confess."