Chapter 11

The day had finally arrived. A week and a half after I had ran out to greet Jack on the curb, it was now time to say goodbye. He had to go back to the US, and I was staying back in London for another month. It was time to face our inevitable separation.

We'd had many of them before. So many. Including the one that had brought me to London in the first place. But this one felt a little different. We weren't just saying goodbye to each other, we were going to be apart during a pretty important journey. A month was a lifetime this time. By the time we'd see each other next, I would be at the end of my first trimester and entering the second. Just like that, a third of this pregnancy would already have passed.

I watched as Jack zipped up his suitcase, his brow furrowed in concentration. He was a man of few words at the moment. His usual cheerful personality was replaced with a touch of solemness.

"You know," I began, trying to break the silence, "five weeks isn't that long. I'll be visiting you on tour soon."

Jack looked up at me, his eyes meeting mine with a hint of sadness. "I know. But it's just hard being apart. Especially now."

I walked over to him and gently took hold of his hand. "Even if we're not physically together, you're still part of every step of the way."

He pulled onto my hand to envelop me into a comforting embrace. I nested into him, finding solace in hugging him one last time.

He sighed as he put his chin on top of my head. "I just wish I could be here every day, every moment."

"I wish that too. But if there's anybody who can do this, it's us."

"You're right," he nodded, making my hair catch in his scruff. "But I'll be counting down the days until we see each other again. I'll even put a countdown on my phone."

"You do that," I smiled, leaning away slightly to look at him, and fixed my hair. "And you'll have Alex to keep you company."

"He doesn't suck my dick as good as you do," he scoffed.

I immediately groaned and had to leave the embrace. At least he was making jokes again. Despite the sadness of parting, it was good to see his humour returning. But now? Really? When we were having a bit of a moment? He was just laughing at his own joke and my reaction. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"You're impossible, Barakat," I shook my head, pretending to be annoyed.

He grinned mischievously. "You know you love it."

I quickly stuck my tongue out at him and pointed at the door. "Leave my bedroom."

"But I don't wanna," he whined, grabbing my arm and pulling me into him.

Once my body hit his, he cupped my cheek and deeply kissed me. The hand that had been on my arm went to my waist, nudging me even closer. It felt like all the breath was knocked out of my lungs. I tugged on his shirt to get some kind of control. My hormones were driving me insane.

But when he broke away to start kissing down my neck, I chuckled and regretfully pushed him away.

"Your car's gonna be here anytime soon," I reminded him when he tried to keep his head in the crook of my neck.

He breathed out loudly, annoyed but accepting, refusing to move away. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too."

He finally stood up straight again, looking right into my eyes. "You take care of the both of you, okay?"

"Of course I will," I gazed into his eyes. "There's nothing I take as seriously as this."

"And I'm going to call you everyday."

"I wouldn't expect anything less."

"Fuck," he mumbled under his breath, the palms of his hands resting on my still-flat adbomen. "I wish I could be there for every milestone, every doctor's appointment, and every craving you have."

I wanted him to be there as well. Of course I did. I didn't like that we were going to constantly be apart throughout this. Just mere months earlier, we had discussed getting a dog and came to the conclusion that now wasn't the time for this exact reason. And here we were, taking it a step further and having a baby.

My hands went to his hair as he crouched down and started peppering kisses all over my stomach. The touch made tears well up in my eyes. It wasn't long until they spilled over and started their way down my cheeks. The sweet gestures brough on such a mixture of emotions. I was overwhelmed with both love and sadness.

Jack looked up, concern in his eyes as he noticed my tears. He stood up and gently wiped them away with his thumb. "Jace..."

"I promise I'm okay," I chuckled through the tears, knowing where the conversation was heading. "It's the hormones, remember?"

"Are you sure?" He managed to brush away a tear before it fell from the corner of my eyes. "That's what you said two years ago too."

"One-hundred percent sure," I stated, going to rub my eyes myself. "I'm excited. Excited to come see you out of tour again... excited to start our family together... I promise to keep you updated everyday."

He pressed a soft kiss on my forehead, and I closed my eyes, savouring the warmth of his lips against my skin. We stood there, wrapped in each other's arms, holding onto the moment. It was a hard one, and I really didn't want him to leave. But I also knew that I was going to be okay. I already managed six weeks, what was another five?

The sound of a car honking outside signalled that it was time for Jack to leave. He sighed and reluctantly pulled away from our embrace, his fingers lingering on my waist.

"I've got to go," he whispered.

I nodded, blinking back more tears. "I know."

He placed one last tender kiss on my lips, a silent promise of his love and commitment. In the end, he reluctantly let go of my hand and picked up his suitcase. We left my bedroom and went out of the apartment. My heart was heavy, but I knew time would fly.

We stood at the threshold of the building, our eyes locked in one last lingering gaze.

As he stepped outside, he turned to me one last time. "I love you, Jacie."

"I love you too, Jack," I replied, my voice filled with sincerity.

With one last bittersweet smile, he walked towards the car that was waiting for him. I continued to watch from the doorway, making sure that he got in safely. Our lives were never going to be the same again.